Checkin in from Central TX...

Reaction score
Hey guys just joined the forum and wanted to leave a hello in the intro section. I'm new to ponds and right now I'm just in the digging phase but ill keep everyone updated and post some pics when I take them. I have a ton of questions but I'm going to do a lot of searching on here before I just go asking questions that have already been answered on here 20 different times. Ok so a lil about my plans. I think I'm looking at somewhere close to 3000 gallons, oval shaped 12ft x 8ft x 4ft deep. At one end I plan to do a small shelf at about 2ft deep for a few plants and at the other end will be a pretty good size waterfall/filter built out of flagstone. I do plan on having fish but not 100% sure which kind right now. I do love koi but I think since I'm new to this ill probably go with something easier to maintain like some sort of nice looking goldfish. I'll be posting plenty of questions on here I'm sure but I also welcome any input you guys have for me. Thanks!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome ken and you want to make sure since you are in Texas that you go deep enough to keep fish cool in summer and do you have predators as you may want to not include plant shelves as that gives them steps to get in your pond .

Reaction score
That is a good point that I've been going back and forth with because we do have frequent wildlife like raccoons, and even neighborhood cats when they are brave enough to chance getting caught by my dog. I also considered leaving the water plants out and just doing a nice flower bed bordering the back side of the pond. That way I can incorperate the plants but not have shelves going into the pond. Would 4 ft not be deep enough for fish even if it won't be in direct sun all day?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome Ken! As far as the planting shelf, you can not put it in but use plastic crates or something to sit plants on so you could still have plants in the pond. Plants provide great filtration, plus there are plants you could tuck into the rocks on the side that will spreadout across the water. Many option. I hvae planting shelves, but don't have the predetors folks in the south and east do. I only have to worry about racoons.

My pond is 3 feet deep at the deepest but a little larger about 5000 gallons. I live in the high desert with a lot of sun and summer temps over 100 on a regular basis through July and August. I have not had a problem with the water getting too warm and my comets do great. But our night temps can flucuate 20-40 degrees or so, so that might help keep my pond cool. My pond is also in full sun.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
4 ft should be plenty since it is mostly in shade .The plant idea behind the pond would be pretty since you are in Texas you could get some really nice plants that grow year round .I tried out florida hill nurseries because they had cheap rate to ship and there tropical plants were really cheap .I wish I could get more but I have to store them in the basement in the winter .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomesign4.gif
Ken
I have plant shelves but have them 18" deep and never had anything get into my pond by way of them. Too deep for raccoons and heron don't seem to get in that way either. They have tried to fish from the sides of the pond but not on the shelves. Maybe cuz they can't see the bottom of the shelves cuz I have plants there and also lots of floating plants sprawled across the top of the water. You can also use floating plant rings for your plants and can make them yourself. Or the plastic crates work too like Pecan suggested. Koi like to mess w/ your plants.......goldfish not so much. I have only goldies and there are lots of nice varieties out there to choose from and they can get quite large also.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcomefrogcar.gif

To our group!

We have herons here, they so far have not jumped in my pond onto my bog wall shelf, it is 18 - 24 inches down, It is a great depth for plants. Also covered with plants, so maybe like jw says, they don't see it as a shelf.
They have walked into my pond at the walk out spot, not any more, I put up some chicken wire.

The raccoons just drink out of the pond, they have never bothered a fish.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the Welcomes! I've been put at a halt with a couple of days of hard rain so I'm going to use this time to decide for sure which way I want to go before I get back to digging. Thanks for all the ideas so far.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
good that you got rain while digging it will give you an idea how well the ground absorbs the water so you know ahead that your liner will sit nice and not float up on you .Having great draining under it is better than problems down the road .If it absorbs the water fast you know you won't have to worry

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Another idea for plants is make a foam island. I made one out of that pink foam from the local big box store. I cut it to the shape of a kidney been with a skill saw and cut three larger holes in it to slide pots down into and a bunch of smaller holes to put bare root plants in. It is about 3 x 4 feet and provides shade, a great hiding place for the fishies and a good floating filter. It is in the pond now but not planted, the fish love it since there is no place else to hide right now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I used a hot glue gun and put moss on top. Not sure if it is a good idea or not, but either way once I put the pots, watercress and creeping jenny in it will be covered in no time at all.

Here is a pic of it. I was actually taking a pic of my bamboo a month or so ago and it just happened to be in the pic. I put some plastic plants in it for now, they may or may not get pulled out once I plant it.

DSCN1682.jpg

Ask a Question