Hello, new here and just checking in

Reaction score
Hi all, I am a new member to this forum. I love gardening and my pond. I live in western Wisconsin, so it is just about time to get my pond up and going for the summer. I did have some bad luck this year. We have always been able to keep our pond open in the winter with a small floating heater. This year, however, the weather was so cold that the heater couldn't keep up and the pond froze completely killing all my fish. I hope to find helpful information here.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your loss as well. Did you keep a soccer, basketball or volleyball in it to keep a weep hole open? I hear that works.

Reaction score
Never heard of that. The biggest problem was the extreme cold this winter. We had many nights that were -20 degrees or lower. The worst was a -45 night. I think that was the night that did us in. Then, I didn't notice it until too late. Sure can't wait for spring weather to stay. I will try the ball idea next year.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The depth is very important in extremely cold climates, too shallow and nothing will stop the freeze short of heaters.

Ask a Question