Cistern turned pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
no, I need to add about 12 inches of liner to the top part of the pond on one side. My liner isn't quite tall enough. I'm building the sides of the pond up about 10 inches, and putting a rock wall along the top ten inches of liner to protect it from the sun, so the seam will be folded and held down by rocks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm going to start the process tonight hopefully and I'll take a few pictures of what I'm doing, it's hard to describe :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ok, I drew up a quick diagram
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3196]

The reason for the rocks is, the cistern is higher on one side than the other, and I've seen a few ponds with rocks on the edges that looked really good, and kept the liner hidden. I unfortunately bought a liner that didn't have enough overhang on one side even though the calculator I used said it would have a 2ft overhang. My thinking is the seam will have a harder time leaking if it has at least a 3'' overlap and is folded over at least once, and then held down by the rocks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
btw, the squares between the top of the cisten and the top of the water level are stacked stones. forgot to put that in my diagram :D

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
as long as you have a decent overlap and water is running down the waterfall it should be no problem .I had only 1 problem with an over lap on my waterfall before I rebuilt it and that's because the roots of a plant grew up between the 2 liners .Darn plants just can't make those roots behave them selves . :cheerful:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My failures have been when I did not clean the liner well enough, or a little wrinkle, make sure it is flat, do a u type fold between the two. If it was my pond I would also do some pl roofing goop, it has saved me many times.

Then stick liner tape over the edge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Had a chance to put some rocks down today. It's river rock from a creek about a mile from my house.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3198]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3197]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
free rocks are always great and mother nature does not care she will just make new rocks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Started on my filter project today. It's about a 3ft tall pot that I made into a skippy filter. My plan is to build a second one if this one can't keep up with the pump.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3200]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3199]

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So my filter is in, and the pond is green, so I took some forum advise and put a few sheets of quilt batting just under the filter output. Three sheets of it. Anything else I should do to get the water to clear up or just wait it out?

Reaction score
Wait it out, my pond is only about 1100 gallons give or take and it took 8-9 days before it finally started clearing up (that was last night btw.), hoping by tonight when i get home I will be able to see my fish. Did you test the water yet? That will be an indicator if your filter is starting to cycle or not, if you tested the water when you filled versus now...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
no, I haven't done any testing yet. I'm pretty sure there isn't much bio going on yet. I just put the filter in the pond two days ago and didn't put any existing media in from the other pond, and the water was already green by that point.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
great idea putting the basket in front of your outlet .Just time and it will clear up and soak your quilt batting in peroxide and water it will help clear the water up faster .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
takes awhile for filters to work but you could still add water from your other pond or filter media from it .I have used bacteria you can buy for the filter and pond and it does help .Microblift smells like rotten eggs but works

Ask a Question