Cloudy water. Pump too big for filter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My pond is 3600 Ltr

My pump is a Hozelock 8000L/H pump. But my filter is rated at just 4500L/H

The reason I got a higher rated pump is that I have another pond higher up and I was planning on pumping water up to the top pond and letting it flow down to the bottom pond. But, so far, havn't got round to doing that so, currently, just the 3600Ltr pond with no head at all. it's all been working fine for a few years.

But the water was never really clear.

I'm wondering, is it that the pump is just too powerful for the filter and it's managing to force dirty water through the filter?

I'm thinking of getting a bigger filter. Is that likely to help?

I do have another All-In-One pump/filter/fountain. If I run that it clears the water. So I know the water is cleanable. But with the cost of electricity going up I don't want to run two pumps if I can help it. The All-In-One is also a pain to clean so I don't really like lifting it out of the pond and taking it apart.

So. Smaller pump. Or bigger filter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
What type of filter are we talking about?

You can split the pump output and dump it back in the pond unfiltered.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond is 3600 Ltr

My pump is a Hozelock 8000L/H pump. But my filter is rated at just 4500L/H

The reason I got a higher rated pump is that I have another pond higher up and I was planning on pumping water up to the top pond and letting it flow down to the bottom pond. But, so far, havn't got round to doing that so, currently, just the 3600Ltr pond with no head at all. it's all been working fine for a few years.

But the water was never really clear.

I'm wondering, is it that the pump is just too powerful for the filter and it's managing to force dirty water through the filter?

I'm thinking of getting a bigger filter. Is that likely to help?

I do have another All-In-One pump/filter/fountain. If I run that it clears the water. So I know the water is cleanable. But with the cost of electricity going up I don't want to run two pumps if I can help it. The All-In-One is also a pain to clean so I don't really like lifting it out of the pond and taking it apart.

So. Smaller pump. Or bigger filter?
Save your money on commercially made filters that are generally rated for way more than they are capable. build your self a bog and you'll never worry about cloudy water again. BELOW IS LINKS TO MY BOG BUILD AND POND BUILD . you'll see the water is crystal clear and next to zero maintenance.

Ask a Question