Cold weather moved in

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Matak,

Someone must have slammed the door shut at the west end of southern Canada. We're in the 50's* F, and raining like crazy here down in the flat lands of the Puget Sound. My pond is about 56* F with the 300 watt heater in my filter reservor. I walked by the pond this morning and I thought my shubunkins were planning a jail break, they went into a frenzy to be fed. So I fed them about a third of what I would normally feed them in the summer, and they ate all of the pellets before I could step away. They have been quite active all this last week as the temps have come up into the 50's* F.

Happy ponding,

Rich ;)

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Finally after Madaks , Deep freeze voodoo we are getting back to the 50s.
I will start up the ponds and melt the ice today

Reaction score
oldmarine said:
Someone must have slammed the door shut at the west end of southern Canada. We're in the 50's* F, and raining like crazy here down in the flat lands of the Puget Sound. My pond is about 56* F with the 300 watt heater in my filter reservor. I walked by the pond this morning and I thought my shubunkins were planning a jail break, they went into a frenzy to be fed. So I fed them about a third of what I would normally feed them in the summer, and they ate all of the pellets before I could step away. They have been quite active all this last week as the temps have come up into the 50's* F.

I've got the same thing going on here. Silly fish are convinced it's spring already. So are my pond plants - parrot feather has new growth, marsh marigold is coming up, loosestrife is sending out new shoots, crinum lily is going nuts. I'm worried I'm going to have a cold snap come along and kill it all :confused: Tempted to lightly feed my fish, but worried about the same - that right after I do it it will turn cold...

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I got my pond back up.:confused:
This was the longest cold snap we had in a long long time
It must have something to do with global warming :D

Reaction score
DrDave said:
We must have gotten your cold snap. Overnight it got cold here. Gee, where is Al Gore whent this happens?

LOL! Al Gore is obviously full of caca doo doo! If this doesn't prove him wrong, I don't know what does?!

Reaction score
I haven't really been here long enough to don an asbestos suit, but then again, I'm a sort of reckless chap. so here I go. Flame on readers!

The great green fraud

featureArctic%20Sunrise.jpg

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If we are starting to get in a natural cold cycle, :D {it is winter} ;)
The smart one,s :confused: will come up with a reason why.. were starting a new ice age
Instead of believing weather comes in cycles :banghead3:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
First winter with fish and of course it is the first cold winter in 15 years and I have 50+ fry! Our pond is unusual as half is below ground and half is above ground. Deepest part is about 3 feet. We debated a heater, but our juice is very pricey here and already at 300 a month for electric without heating our thousand plus gallons. So we opted for a bubble stone. Well, when it thawed a bit yesterday I finally saw a slew of fish, including the young fry. YIPPEE!!!! Now I am not so worried as I think we will have one more cold spell after this week and then spring is coming!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Hi Joanie,
In Northern NJ not far from The upstate NY border. We started in June last year between adopted and purchased fish we had 21. Lost several to predators and possible old age. Have 10 of the origianl batch and the fish had thousands of offspring, but we let nature work its magic rather than culling ourselves and we have about 50 fry that survived the best I can figure. The early spring is going to be rough until I can get floaters to propagate quickly enough as our pond is not only completly open, but in full sun! Helps the warming proces though.

Did you use a heater or cover of some sort? Your pond should be a couple of weeks ahead of mine, but we will see!

Mary

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
Mary - Yeah, I put in an aerator and a little de-icer, then covered it with a tarp which I stretched over the supports for my netting. The aerator had problems.. due to my own mistakes in following manufacturer's instructions and running the tube from indoors to outdoors. It froze up from condensing warm air. Anyhow, the de-icer kept the water open, and when the weather got real cold a few weeks ago I looked under the tarp and the entire surface had completely de-iced. Fish were not at the top, though.

Today it got up to about 45 degrees and the fish were moving around a bit more. This morning I noticed that one of my fish has pox, which means probably all of them do. :fish2: Dunno what to do 'bout that.

Joanie

Ask a Question