Cold weather plants for backyard pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have started a 800 gallon backyard pond to raise goldfish and maybe koi. I have many plants that live well during summer time but would like to have some winter time pond plants. I live about 40 miles west of Charlotte,NC.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @chuckinnc !

What zone are you in? What types of plants are winter hardy in your zone that grow in the garden or yard?

Also - I know you didn't ask, but while an 800 gallon pond is perfect for goldfish, it's too small for koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Pond iris, Japanese rush, Scirpus, spike rush have cold tolerant foliage. Hornwort is a safe bet as a submerged aquatic, useful for fish to hide among

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Gosh you are not far from me and cold weather plants ,confused by that .You should be in a warmer zone than I am .I am 15 minutes from the NC border .Charlotte is about an hour or a little more from me .I know it takes an hour to get to Greensboro NC from my house .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Research it first to be sure, but I got some Water Hawthorne. It has really neat elliptical floating leaves and can be planted in the same container as lilies. The lilies prefer the warm weather and the Hawthorne likes it cool. So when the lilies are asleep, the Hawthorne gets going. I'm not sure just how cold-tolerant it really is, but it's something to investigate.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok Sissiy I am near Charlotte so maybe a warmer zone than you.

I have a larger pond to put these in but the 800 gallon is to raise cheap feeder fish to adults, they look like a mixture of gold and koi, some orange, others orange/white. Hawthorne sounds like the plant I need, will lookup a supplier.

Adavisus I see your location is carolinas so I will check your plant list out, if they live where you do then It work for me also.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I over winter my plants in my basement and bring them out when frost is past .I have had water hyacinth for over 5 years now that I over winter and even traded my extras to a garden center here for plants I wanted since they had no water hyacinth yet to sell

Ask a Question