Collecting wild pond plants in the EVERGLADES today

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I found a lot of invasive Water Lettuce today and I netted up as much as I could that I could reach in the Everglades off of US 27.
I also found an abundance of the other plant. It is linked by runners like a Pathos. But this is clearly aquatic.
I have no idea what it is. Or if it is also an introduced species.
All of these are going into my two newly established ponds that will also contain.....You got it.....Invasive species. Midas cichlids in one and Tiger Oscar's in the other.
Tiger Oscar's have flat out taken over the Everglades in Broward county and Midas have done the same just an hour south in Dade County.

Attachments

• 20220505_140920.jpg
    20220505_140920.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220505_115259.jpg
    20220505_115259.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 21

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I found a lot of invasive Water Lettuce today and I netted up as much as I could that I could reach in the Everglades off of US 27.
I also found an abundance of the other plant. It is linked by runners like a Pathos. But this is clearly aquatic.
I have no idea what it is. Or if it is also an introduced species.
All of these are going into my two newly established ponds that will also contain.....You got it.....Invasive species. Midas cichlids in one and Tiger Oscar's in the other.
Tiger Oscar's have flat out taken over the Everglades in Broward county and Midas have done the same just an hour south in Dade County.
BTW these ponds are only for fishes that I've either caught in traps or on tackle from local waterways.
That's why I'm eliminating the quarantine for the most part.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
Out of an abundance of caution, I've placed the plants into a garbage bag and tossed them into the garbage.
The legalities seem to be just too much.
I'll concentrate on easily obtained indigenous plants that are legal to keep and collect.
Thanks for you help with identifying them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Out of an abundance of caution, I've placed the plants into a garbage bag and tossed them into the garbage.
The legalities seem to be just too much.
I'll concentrate on easily obtained indigenous plants that are legal to keep and collect.
Thanks for you help with identifying them
A+ decision. The plants are gorgeous, but here in Florida, so many introduced plants (and fish, and reptiles, etc) have become a problem and I wish more people would do what you are doing: help solve it. Good luck in your legal collecting.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
A+ decision. The plants are gorgeous, but here in Florida, so many introduced plants (and fish, and reptiles, etc) have become a problem and I wish more people would do what you are doing: help solve it. Good luck in your legal collecting.
Thanks
I need to bring along a field guide of native plants

Ask a Question