Anyone used an intex type pool for collecting fry?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm faced with trying to catch and re-home koi fry from the summer of 2014. I don't have enough room to store a big live stock tank, so though one of these pools might work?

My plan is to pump water from the pond into the pool, thus lowering the pond water and hopefully catching these fast as lightening fry. After I catch them, I can pump the water back into the pond, catch the fry and place in a smaller container.

I guess my main motive for using this type of pool, is to save as much pond water as possible. Is this a good idea, or should I just lower the water catch the fry and refill with tap water and dechlorinator?

Thanks, open to any and all suggestions. Really hoping my koi eat ALL the eggs this year, will remove floating baskets when I suspect spawning.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Sounds like you got a good plan
Fish move a little slower in cold water

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
plus you don't have to worry about a stock tank leaking ,I have 4 of them 60 gallon and 100 gallon and 300 gallon ones

Reaction score
Country
United States
My plan is to pump water from the pond into the pool, thus lowering the pond water and hopefully catching these fast as lightening fry. After I catch them, I can pump the water back into the pond, catch the fry and place in a smaller container.

I guess my main motive for using this type of pool, is to save as much pond water as possible. Is this a good idea, or should I just lower the water catch the fry and refill with tap water and dechlorinator?

Why do you want to save as much pond water as possible? Personally I would take the opportunity to do a water change while catching the fry and kill two birds with one stone so to speak. I can't wait for it to warm up a bit more so I can do a water change on the pond. I hate leaving it over the winter without "freshening" it up a bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thankfully thats not a problem we have Maria and we can continue right the way through with them normally mind you weve missed one or two this year because of the intense cold weve been getting of late .
Marias right provided you do a partial water change your fry should be fine , however remember not too much in the way of stress to them

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
plus you don't have to worry about a stock tank leaking ,I have 4 of them 60 gallon and 100 gallon and 300 gallon ones
I just don't have room to store them and want to save as much pond water as possible. Other option would be to pay pond service to do this, but that will cost more money than if I do it myself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Why do you want to save as much pond water as possible? Personally I would take the opportunity to do a water change while catching the fry and kill two birds with one stone so to speak. I can't wait for it to warm up a bit more so I can do a water change on the pond. I hate leaving it over the winter without "freshening" it up a bit.
Hmmm, you bring up a good point. I thought that saving pond water had advantages, keeping PH stable etc. You're saying I shouldn't worry, just refill with tap water and add de-cholrinator?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ponddigger just did a you tube video on dechlor and activated charcoal .Thing is with a pool as you are filling it it is really hard to keep the sides up unless you have a couple of people to hold them up .Stock tank I keep plants in and it makes a pretty focal point .This year I am going to move one along side the driveway and surround it and use watering can running into from the pump

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm faced with trying to catch and re-home koi fry from the summer of 2014. I don't have enough room to store a big live stock tank, so though one of these pools might work?

Thanks, open to any and all suggestions. Really hoping my koi eat ALL the eggs this year, will remove floating baskets when I suspect spawning.

Save and re-use the pond water. This maintains water quality stability thereby reducing stress on the fish. Water changes are normally not necessary in an eco-system pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmmm, you bring up a good point. I thought that saving pond water had advantages, keeping PH stable etc. You're saying I shouldn't worry, just refill with tap water and add de-cholrinator?

Yes, I am saying to refill with tap water and add dechlorinator at least that is what I do with my pond (my pond is much smaller than yours, maybe that makes a difference?) although Dave does water changes on his pond and his is a larger pond. So long as you don't do a large water change it certainly won't hurt your fish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
[QUOTE="Meyer Jordan, post: 259969, member: 7131" Water changes are normally not necessary in an eco-system pond.[/QUOTE]

meyer, can you please give the definition of an eco-system pond?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ponddigger does not like people doing that .But I guess in Cali. they have more additives to there water also .I am glad i have well water .When I rebuilt my pond i saved as much of my pond water as I could .Garbage cans and stock tanks full .I do test my well water 2 times a year .I had to use well water to refill my pond since it was a bigger pond .Birds were pooping in my one filter that was shut down and cleaning it was a mess and it stunk .

Ask a Question