Concerning Goldfish growth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my original goldfish has a 'lump/growth' on its side. It has slowly grown larger over time. The fish seems happy enough and no others have any issues at all. I have tested the water quality which is fine and the water is filter throughout the year via a filter and waterfall. I have noticed also recently that this particular fish has slightly milky eyes. I have added some Tetra medifin to the pond over the last month or so but it has not helped. Any advice appreciated. TIA. (Apolgies it's the best photo I can get)
20230902_104725.jpg
20230902_104725.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I sometimes have goldfish w/growths. I don't bother treating them, just let them live their lives. Not really much you can do as it is kinda hard to figure out what is the real issue. You can test your water to make sure it's not due to some kind of imbalance but adding chemicals and meds when you don't know the real cause can sometimes just make things worse and that can then effect the healthy fish in your pond. Sorry this is happening and I feel sad for the fish when it does :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi J.W. Thanks for your reply. I'll keep an eye on him/her. Hopefully the Goldfish will be okay.
Appreciate your advice.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It looks like carp pox, a herpes virus (but for fish). Unless it obstructs breathing or eating, it’s not harmful — other than not looking nice. There is no cure. It will appear to worsen in cooler water, and somewhat resolve in warmer water (seasonal change), but it doesn’t go away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Tumors are fairly common with goldfish, and that looks like a small tumor to me. I have no idea why some fish develop them and others don't.

Fish can live for years with them and there really is nothing to do for them, assuming it is a tumor.

Keep the water in good shape, as always, and just enjoy the fish.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your replies. It's good to hear that it's fairly common. He/She seems happy enough and is still lively/eating well etc...
I just wanted to ensure there was nothing I could do to help. I will look after the water quality as always and let them enjoy their time. Many thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Tumors are fairly common with goldfish, and that looks like a small tumor to me. I have no idea why some fish develop them and others don't.

Fish can live for years with them and there really is nothing to do for them, assuming it is a tumor.

Keep the water in good shape, as always, and just enjoy the fish.
we get warts / and tumors there's no real cause they just are

Ask a Question