Concerning smaller ponds.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
In addition to using a pond heater, has anyone used 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick foam cut to size to lay on the surface of their pond to hold some warmth in? The last two winters I only used a submersible heater, which worked quite well. I was wondering if anyone has tried using a foam sheet the foam sheets that can be purchased at Home Depot, Lowe's or any of the other hardware stores. What kind of success did you have using foam on the pond if you did?

Reaction score
I had thought of this also and was wondering if there was anything in the 4x8 blue foam boards that could be toxic. It would work great easy to remove yet stable in that the wind couldn't get underneath and blow it away.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i have heard people use bubble wrap and just lay it on top of the water... my only worry about useing anything on top of the water is if you have fish that jump they might jump on top and not be able to get back into the pond

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
shakaho said:
You can get solar pool blankets that are like extra heavy-duty bubble wrap. They are quite effective in raising the temperature of a pool or spa.

Here's an example:

http://www.solarcovers.com/solar-covers.asp

i have one of those on my raised pond, i have it above a frame covering the pond and so far its keeping the water a little warmer

Reaction score
Hi !

You talking about heaters like for aquariums right ?

It really works well ?

I might have to just get 3 of those... :lol:

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Just as follow up. I just Googled "aqaurium heaters', and I found an endless variety of heaters for ponds and aquariums.

I am currently using an older glass 'submersible aquarium heater' in my reservor for my pond, and it works just fine. It has been keeping the water temp above freezing when the temps get down into the teens (F).

Reaction score
Just came back from outside think for two ponds it's too late... the time to go get heaters with the amount of snow falling they could not melt the ice in time... and it looks like it's all frozen...

I'm so upset don't know what more to do all my fish are gonna be dead :lol::(:D Gonna let the heaters work and see what happens.

I really hope for a miracle and that it didn't freeze all the way to the bottom....

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
FIRST SHOVEL OR CLEAR A SPOT ...Boil a large pan of water and set the pan on the ice to create a starter hole....then put in your heater and fire it up. ( KEEP AN EYE ON IT SO YOUR POT DOESNT GO BYE BYE)

Ask a Question