Spotted a goldfish baby yesterday

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I was walking around yesterday with a torch at night looking around, and it seems at perfect time I arrived. I saw something moving in the water, it turned out to be a very very tiny goldfish, black with a little bit of color. I was a bit surprised, how old could it be? It's less than the size of my finger, its so tiny. Wonder if it's gonna survive or just end up being eaten by bigger fish. Not sure how old it is.

I have 10-12 goldfish, and 3 small-medium koi. The Koi are getting bigger these days, a bit scary. Though when they end up growing big and to their full size I will probably sell them or give them away, and just leave maybe one big one but not sure, it just depends on how they behave with other fish of smaller size.

The goldfish were chasing each other like crazy a few months ago, but I thought nothing came of it, seems I was wrong.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My small pond will be 3 years old in a couple of months. Since that time (until a suspected recent visit by a heron), I had 10 goldfish of various varieties. I have never seen any babies and I can only assume that they're being eaten.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It’s always fun to discover fry. My favorite ones are the dark colored ones, because I rarely see them (if at all), and when I do, it’s such a surprise. I like the dark ones, but they eventually transition into a color or a pattern.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
The babies sneak up on you, this year I took eight smaller fish out but kept the koi. Small to me were about 7 to 8 inches. Comets and fantails. Good luck finding the active couple

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I hardly ever see those tiny little babies in my pond but then voila! I see these 1 or 2" black little ones so I know things are happening w/babies, I just can't see the tiny ones among the plants anymore I guess or else the fish stork brings them in or they fly in on bird legs?

Ask a Question