concrete pond

Reaction score
scottish,

There is this product on the market called Pond Armor. You squeegee it and then roll it on. It is a non-toxic epoxy pond liner & sealer. This might work for you although I have never tried it. Their website is www.pondarmor.com (1-800-716-1545) good luck.

y2kdejesus

Reaction score
I've constructed a concrete pond a few months ago and took 9 working days and cost right at $700.00 its about 22ft in length and about 12 ft wide. Overall its 16 inches deep and the water level stops about 2 inches from the top.

I used 4x8x16 concrete blocks, and poured the floor with 4 inches of concrete mixed by hand and poured in sections each day. After the floor was in I laid the block in the traditional way with mortor and made sure I was leval all around any area that was curved I made flush with additional Mortor and when it was all set up I textured it with a mortor mix and a rubber float to give it a sand texture that was nice and smooth, when it was all done I poured the cells of all the blocks with concrete and capped it off with the same texture with the rubber float method. The finished pond looks as if it were solid concrete, theres no indication that blocks were used.

I just recently completed the construction of a skippy type filter and am waiting on filter media to arrive.

Heres a video while it was filled and testing for any leaks as well as leting any leeching of concrete/mortor into the water, after letting it sit for a few weeks we drained it re filled it and let the new water circulate a few more weeks before putting in the fish.

The video shows it on the same day we first filled it, now we have many lillys and various aquatic plants. Im very pleased with the results.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]ROP4QmM32PY[/MEDIA]"]

Reaction score
I've constructed a concrete pond a few months ago and took 9 working days and cost right at $700.00 its about 22ft in length and about 12 ft wide. Overall its 16 inches deep and the water level stops about 2 inches from the top.

I used 4x8x16 concrete blocks, and poured the floor with 4 inches of concrete mixed by hand and poured in sections each day. After the floor was in I laid the block in the traditional way with mortor and made sure I was leval all around any area that was curved I made flush with additional Mortor and when it was all set up I textured it with a mortor mix and a rubber float to give it a sand texture that was nice and smooth, when it was all done I poured the cells of all the blocks with concrete and capped it off with the same texture with the rubber float method. The finished pond looks as if it were solid concrete, theres no indication that blocks were used.

I just recently completed the construction of a skippy type filter and am waiting on filter media to arrive.

Heres a video while it was filled and testing for any leaks as well as leting any leeching of concrete/mortor into the water, after letting it sit for a few weeks we drained it re filled it and let the new water circulate a few more weeks before putting in the fish.

The video shows it on the same day we first filled it, now we have many lillys and various aquatic plants. Im very pleased with the results.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]ROP4QmM32PY[/MEDIA]"]

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Whatever you have in the bottom of this pond is going to be your worst enemy in about a year.
Other than that, nice job. What are you doing for filtration?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Whatever you have in the bottom of this pond is going to be your worst enemy in about a year.
Other than that, nice job. What are you doing for filtration?

Reaction score
In the bottom of the pond is a layer of river rock, rather large size on average their about golf ball size. I had these type of rocks in a pond with a liner and each year we moved the rocks to one end and rinsed the pond, now that its concrete it will be easier to just shovel the rocks to one end rinse and drain. Never really had any issues with the rocks other than some leaves settling in between them on occasion. However with my new setup concrete, I have a virticle type skimmer that I can easily attach a pool hose to and vacume up leaves with. I just added a skippy type filter that I posted photos of in another post.

Reaction score
In the bottom of the pond is a layer of river rock, rather large size on average their about golf ball size. I had these type of rocks in a pond with a liner and each year we moved the rocks to one end and rinsed the pond, now that its concrete it will be easier to just shovel the rocks to one end rinse and drain. Never really had any issues with the rocks other than some leaves settling in between them on occasion. However with my new setup concrete, I have a virticle type skimmer that I can easily attach a pool hose to and vacume up leaves with. I just added a skippy type filter that I posted photos of in another post.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
As long as you have away to keep the bottom clean, that is the most important thing. It is often overloooked until Dropsy or other problems occur.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
As long as you have away to keep the bottom clean, that is the most important thing. It is often overloooked until Dropsy or other problems occur.

Ask a Question