Skimmer Recommendations - Concrete pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a small concrete pond. Two levels, upper level is about 500 gallons and lower level is about 1200. After having the pond for two years (and hating fishing all the leaves, needles, etc. out of it) I think its time I put in a skimmer.

I'm not interested in busting a hole in the side to put in one of the side mounted skimmers so I was looking for something that I could just set my pump in and have it collect debris. Was eyeing the PS3900 but I know that is intended to be built into a lined pond.

I think the water level in the pond is probably 18" at its deepest. What are my options regarding this setup?

Thanks for your options and advice!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Forgot to include a picture for reference. :)
IMG_20180515_143650.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just curious.....how would you set it up and all since you don’t have a liner, and it looks like the sides are sloped (and no shelves?)?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just curious.....how would you set it up and all since you don’t have a liner, and it looks like the sides are sloped (and no shelves?)?

My plan was to just set it in the pond at the lowest point. (The darkest patch of sludge in the picture).

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You will most likely need to attach something heavy to the bottom of the skimmer box for your application. As the net and pads catch debris/silt and clog, the water level in the area behind the pads/net where the pump is located will lower. After a certain point the skimmer is going to become buoyant and tip over.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome!

Where is your pump in your current set up? I don't really see a way to use a traditional skimmer set up. What about a floating skimmer?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You will most likely need to attach something heavy to the bottom of the skimmer box for your application....

...Where is your pump in your current set up? I don't really see a way to use a traditional skimmer set up. What about a floating skimmer?

My "theory" concept is to put the the pump in the skimmer itself which will help with weight. Currently the pump rests on the bottom of the lower pond (near that sludge area, you can see it in its bag to the left) and is covered in large rocks. Since I'm in the process of cleaning and draining the pond the rocks are current around the pond exterior. I'd pile these rocks near the skimmer itself to create a rock mound that should (in theory) keep the thing in place.

Reading reviews of floating skimmers I've found people to find them more trouble than they are worth.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The pump will not hold it down, when the water level drops. It will want to tip over to the side the pump discharge hose comes out. You can try your rock mound idea, it may work.

It will work if you can attach the bottom to something heavy. I would drill holes in the bottom of it and bolt it to some type of concrete block, could buy the block or diy it with some all thread.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Guyanthalas I kinda get the impression that you haven’t given this a lot of serious thought. Another thing to consider is that, I believe a skimmer has to be perfectly leveled in order to work properly, and it’s hard to tell from your pic, but your pond looks fairly sloped. And yours would be basically just sitting out in the middle of the pond, ‘cause it’s not going to rest against those sloped sides, and you’d have to (maybe) elevate it to be at the correct water level..

And, just as a point of reference.....I have a floating skimmer — OASE Swim Skim. It’s not perfect, but for my pond, it does a very good job....and I’ve had little “trouble” with it — had it for about 4 or 5 years. It’s great for smaller ponds and would probably be perfect for yours. Before the OASE I did have a different brand of floating skimmer (Jaebco, or something like that). Now THAT one was nothing but trouble, which is why I upgraded to the better quality OASE.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Guyanthalas I kinda get the impression that you haven’t given this a lot of serious thought....

Oh I've given it LOTS of thought. But its kind of like trying to do the haversine formula without even understanding basic algebra. :-/

I'm pretty new so there is a ton of stuff that I'm learning as I go. So far my journey has been along the lines of "I don't like skimming my pond, research solutions", found pond skimmers, I looked at the ones that you could place your pump in with led me to the one I listed above. Watched some installation videos, but they didn't explain that being level was a requirement of operation, I just assumed that they did that so it looked nice in line with the side of the pond! Now I'm looking more into surface skimmers, while also emailing the vendors of the box skimmers to find out what they suggest.

Since my pond is two levels, would you think I'd need two floating skimmers? Also, will the floating skimmer work in concern with a submerged pump or will the pump just sink the skimmer?

I'm glad I found this forum because everyone on here has crazy more experience than I do.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Most ponds - even multiple level ponds - have one skimmer which sits opposite the waterfall. As long as the water flows from one pond to the next - and debris doesn't get trapped on it's way through - one skimmer should suffice.

Ask a Question