TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
CONVECTION OVENS....

Do you have one?

I understand the HOW they work, different from a conventional oven, but what I don't quite "get" is how you're supposed to know WHAT ADJUSTMENTS TO MAKE with your recipes. Our first things to cook were Pappa Murphy's pizzas, and for the first few times, they just weren't cooking -- we were having to increase the cooking time, or increase the temp [which is what I understand you have to do]. Have baked a few more things with the same basic results.

So that got us thinking.... THERE HAS GOT TO BE A STANDARD FOR CONVERSIONS!

Our new one has an auto-conversion feature. But to test it out, we turned that feature off and we did some sample runs at different temps using a couple of standard oven thermometers. We did some on the "conventional" setting, and some on the "convection" setting. The differences in the temps were interesting.

Now, I don't do a lot of cooking [really, I don't], but one of my hobbies is making things with polymer clay. CONSISTENT AND ACCURATE TEMPS ARE VITAL to the success of working with PC. Convection ovens are supposed to do well with PC, but until I get this "conversion" stuff figured out, am leery of "baking" my PC work in the new oven. Guessing I'll have to resort to some sample projects for a set of parameters, but was really hoping that the oven would automatically convert for me.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought my double convection last year and 1 oven is conventional and other is convection .Mine has a pizza and chicken nugget setting though .There are several books I got with mine that give you conversions .Top oven is convection .There are also sights on google that tell you conversions .Mine has the conversion set in the oven .All I do is put the regular time and temp and oven converts it to convection when I hit the convert button on the panel
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:49970]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
does yours have this button .You can also go to the sight of the maker of the oven and it will give you the info

Attachments

• oven 002.JPG
    oven 002.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 280
  • oven 003.JPG
    oven 003.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 244

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
for polymer clay I would not use my oven .I use a toaster oven .I do not want to leave that smell or coating of stuff in the oven .The clay I buy even reccomends a toaster oven and not to use a your regular oven and to only use a toaster oven that is used only for polymer clay and to not use it for food after .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
convection oven temps will be the same the only thing that really changes are how long it takes to cook .The fan blowing the heat over the food makes it cook faster and makes it moister .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Swanstud

Latest Threads