addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol most of the time I am, but just love shubunkins.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I love their colors. It will be fun to see what fry I get with them and my pond residents.

They are pretty! I ended up with various fry last year [no idea who the parents are, but suspect at least one "Mom" is a calico Ryunkin-type], and about half of them ended up being Shubunkins. It was so much fun watching them go through the stages from being black-eyed "pinkies," to starting to develop color, and so on.

One thing I did notice...... There was a point during the spring when I took the pond down for major repairs. I "rescued" as many fry as I could and hand-raised them. But, somehow there were about half a dozen babies that ended up un-noticed and accidently got put into pots & totes that held my pond plants during the pond rehab. It was really crappy water that only got topped off with rain; no filtration; no aeration; no feeding. My son discovered the babies when he was getting the plants ready for me to put back in the pond/bog -- those babies had the best colors of all the Shubie fry!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Nice, Addy! Those are the type of shubunkin I like, but 6-8" fish of that quality around here will set you back $30.! EACH!! I got a half-dozen 3-4" fish two years ago, ONLY paid $9. each. Might have to drive down to Frederick sometime. ;)
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Mmathis, I wonder if the beautiful colors of those babies in the totes had to do with the same reason koi breeders raise their fry in mud ponds ... lots more color to them with the mud in there. Maybe we all need to add some mud to our ponds ... NOT!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Mmathis, I wonder if the beautiful colors of those babies in the totes had to do with the same reason koi breeders raise their fry in mud ponds ... lots more color to them with the mud in there. Maybe we all need to add some mud to our ponds ... NOT!
That was my thought. My little guys probably never saw any sunshine during their early months.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The fish hatchery ponds were all natural murky huge ponds, tons of them. Saves their fish from being heron sushi.

Ask a Question