Country Escape's 2nd pond - Goldfish only

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Good Job moving her far away from your pond CE.... hopefully that will be far enough away. Looks very scary to me! I don't mind green grass snakes because they are harmless and don't seem to bite me, but that brown water snake I would sure be afraid of. Bull snakes scare me too cause they bite.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
This one, when she did strike at the net, was very mild. Never really tried to bite the net, just did the strike motion toward it. Once she got her bottom jaw caught, but there were no teeth. She smelled a little "skunky" as I carried her, but that, too, is a mechanism to make them less desirable to prey against them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
My first turtle visitor of the year. This is the first time I've seen one of the painted turtles get out of the water for a pic. And, first time I spotted it, was standing on stone next to skimmer. It got scared and went into the water before I got camera out. But, this was almost as good a pic.
Painted turtle.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our turtles are land turtles. I made ramps so they can get out of the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, he/she decided my pond was not suited for it's needs, so it was leaving. However, it ended up IN the dog kennel! Not sure how it got inside there, unless it fit under the door ... or crawled over the 5' fence! Anyhow, I saved it and put it back into the bog. I figure it would be safer there and it can decide tonight if it wants to leave in the dark, so my dogs don't bother it.
Turtle.JPG

Got these 5 fantails last winter, and have had them in my 55 gal aquarium since then. Finally remembered to put them out into the goldfish pond. They are smaller than the other fish, but they will grow fast.
Five fantails.JPG

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I hate snakes. I had to fish a garter snake out of my pond today. I threw it into the cornfield a hundred yards away from my house. I think it was after one of my oranda goldfish. Oh well. I took care of it much like you did, although I was probably not as friendly towards the darn thing as you were.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
My mule foal was born last night at about 9:30. I went out there at 9:20, and heard splashes of water, realized mare's water broke. Ran to the house, texted my daughter "it's show time in my barn" at 9:23, got back out to the barn just in time to watch the birth. Sadly, I didn't have my video turned on, so missed it on video, but saw it with my eyes. Took less than 10 minutes to get the baby born. Amazing!!! She is a molly mule filly, jet black, with a pretty white star on her forehead. Very seldom do mules have facial markings, so although I was hoping for some socks or stockings, I was thrilled for face marking! She is very tall, can only walk under her mom just in front of her back legs. Mom is doing very well, and is an excellent mother for first time mom at age 16!!!
Pics from last night:
40 encouragement.JPG
54 encouraging.JPG
84 selfie with camera.JPG

and a couple more today now that she is nice and dry. She was "imprinted" last night. That's where I touch and rub her on literally every part of her body, including inside her ears (she was NOT impressed with that) and mouth. Rubbed down each of her legs, too. This way the sensation of that later on will not frighten them. I will be picking up her legs daily starting tomorrow. Horse shoer will be happy about that! Enjoy! :)
003.JPG
Mule filly.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Everyone, meet Aspyn Rae, my brand new (first!!!) grandbaby! She was born yesterday late morning at 6# 14 oz, 19" long. Mom and Dad and baby are all doing great. Daughter messaged me around midnight said Aspyn is breastfeeding very well, and she got a shower, so all is good. LOL She got an epidural, and her legs were numb for quite a while, so couldn't take a shower until yesterday evening. I will be flying out to UT this coming Fri or Sat. Soooooo excited to meet and hold my new wee one. :)
Aspyn Rae.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Here's a pic of three bullfrogs in my goldfish pond. They are always so cooperative anymore getting their pic taken. Love that the frogs are three different sizes, too. Big, bigger, biggest! I've been tossing grubs in for them, but sadly I'm not a very good aim, and with the wind hindering me even more, most of the grubs land in the water instead of on the lily pads. But, they are getting used to me tossing stuff, so once my aim is better, they will pay attention to where I am and beg for food soon.
Three frogs and a lily.JPG

Ask a Question