Couple of Sheen Blotches on Surface

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
I have a Tetra Pond Debris Handling Pump DPH-4200 in the pond. With the onset of cold weather the pump is used about one day a week. Just recently noticed when the pump is off there are a couple of shiny blotches about 2"x2" on the surface. Thing is the pump is lubricant free!

This is the first year that small nuts are falling from our two cypress trees into the pond. I wonder if these nuts could be leaching natural oil?

If I spray them with water they seemingly disappear.

Your thoughts please.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
This is the first year that small nuts are falling from our two cypress trees into the pond. I wonder if these nuts could be leaching natural oil? Very possible they are. Cypress like pines to contain oils. Not as bad as pines and certainly not as bad as petroleum sheens but still should be addressed and if the nuts/balls are falling in the pond I would try to get them out as soon as possible, better safe than sorry for sure.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Mystery solved! I cut open an intact cypress nut and discovered it is rather oily. I scoop the top and bottom of the pond every few days so most of the nuts are captured. Fishin4cars, what harm could come from the remaining nuts since there are no fish in our nature pond?

Thank you all for replying.
I_"

Ask a Question