Coyote?

Reaction score
Had our first sighting today of the neighborhood Coyote.....Several have reported seeing one in our fields. Crazy question do they eat fish? Just thought I would ask as these are new to our area. I guess we really are encroaching on their territory as the whole area is becoming heavily populated. Poor guys! Just don't mess wit my pond or fish.

Reaction score
Coyotes are not naturally very good at taking fish out of water, but they might attempt to eat the fish if they can't find anything else.
As a preventative measure you could try leaving a small cat or dog out in your yard so there'll be a better chance they leave the fish alone
I would think if you have coyotes around you probably also have raccoon. Raccoon are persistent fishers, and little vandals to boot.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We have coyote's and raccoon here and have never had either one get my fish but I have had a short wire fence around my pond and the walls of my pond go straight down 18" to a shelf making it harder for them to get in and get fish. Now the heron is a different story!

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
At first, I thought this was a question all about me! Shucks... maybe next time. :cheerful: :bdaybiggrin:

JohnHuff said:
Surely you mean alternative lunch measure...

That's what I was aiming for... :banana: :banana:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Sharon Goode said:
Had our first sighting today of the neighborhood Coyote.....Several have reported seeing one in our fields. Crazy question do they eat fish? Just thought I would ask as these are new to our area. I guess we really are encroaching on their territory as the whole area is becoming heavily populated. Poor guys! Just don't mess wit my pond or fish.

I live out in the boonies as well and Coyotes are the primary predator around, other than a bobcat for folk that leave near a canyon in my area; however, moreso hunting for domesticated pets rather than fish ponds. ;) :frown:

Coyotes are skittish critters, but, when they get the mange, they can get desperate.

The coyote probably was just looking at your pond for a drink of water. A drink of water or was curious to see if there was a cute and curious little doggie to lure out in the fields to "play". :bye2:

Don't worry about the heavy coyote population. One of Mother Nature's control mechanisms in my area has been the mange. From what I have seen, once the coyote population gets thick, then the mange comes back with ferocity to dwindle the numbers.

Reaction score
My 38 sounds more humane than the mange......:) I hate to swat flies so I guess he is safe for now, unless I catch his paw in the pond, then its every one for themselves......

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Now that was amazing! For some reason that coyote is not afraid of humans. Wonder if somebody has been feeding him? Kind of scary if you ask me

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
j.w said:
Now that was amazing! For some reason that coyote is not afraid of humans. Wonder if somebody has been feeding him? Kind of scary if you ask me
The guy in the video is an idiot. If he'd got bitten in the hand, it would have been off to the hospital to check for rabies.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Mucky_Waters said:
Raccoon are persistent fishers, and little vandals to boot.
I still can't believe raccoons haven't taken any of my fish. In summer they move into one of my trees no further than 50 ft. away from my pond, and have raised babies a couple times. I found raccoon poo by my stream once but all fish were found safe.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Not everyone likes sushi.
JBtheExplorer said:
I still can't believe raccoons haven't taken any of my fish. In summer they move into one of my trees no further than 50 ft. away from my pond, and have raised babies a couple times. I found raccoon poo by my stream once but all fish were found safe.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Mucky_Waters said:

Awesome!! Nah, obviously, not mange. I bet ya the little fella was getting food scraps from their operations outpost there. The closest I could ever get to a coyote, with him quite aware of me, was about 30 foot before the fella would run away, and I have many coyote encounters out here on the farm.

Rabies would definitely be a concern.

Reminds me of my favorite movie scene in Dances with the Wolves where Kevin Costner has met his Wolfy friend, running around with Costner chasing him and the Wolf comes to trip him and they go back and forth, while the native american indians were on the hill watching him, thus the name "Dances with Wolves". :) One of my most favorite movies.

It would have been interesting to see the fella pull out a bacon for the fella. ;)

Funny thing, our large size domesticated dogs should be feared more than a Coyote and I am not talking about pit bulls specifically. I have seen the typical domesticated large breed dog kill an adult cow, with the help of a couple other big dogs. They have their tricks to know how to cause a cow to fall over and then the dogs are quick to tear off the cow's ears and other "soft parts". It's quite nasty. This actually happen to a rancher I know and, when the police came to the owner of the dog's, the owner was like "oh no, not my dog", he called his dog, and the dog's face was just covered with blood but, from what I am told, the dog approached quite friendly to them. Turns out, it was his dog and a couple neighbor's dogs that tend to hang out together, which is seen all the time around here. Folk leave their dogs, unleashed, left to roam around until called upon, and, if nice weather, then left at night with their unfettered freedom; so, the dogs find a buddy with a neighbor's dog and then eventually there's a pack of domesticated dogs, which most times quite friendly, but, when they get together with their buddies, then they do stupid stuff much like how teenagers can get, when with a gang of friends, and start making some bad decisions.

I think too many look at a coyote and think " wolf " mainly out of fear, but it is no where near the truth of the matter. Coyote is more like a medium sized dog or sometimes smaller while a Wolf is like a large or sometimes quite large dog. Coyote's remind me of a big fox moreso and I think fox's are more ferrocious than a coyote. Although, I have heard of stories of coyotes taking down antelope (also called prong horns).

Have to be careful with them and have a rifle at the ready just in case.

Still, I think the camera guy in the video knew what he was doing, although I would have my pistol just in case.

Awesome video, watched it a few times, enjoyed it. :cheerful:

Ask a Question