Creeping Charlie. Can it replace grass as a lawn?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
just out of curiosity, do you see rats routinely in your neck of the woods, j.w? I always sort of figured they were more an inner city type varmint. Seriously, in all my 6 decades of life, I've never seen a wild rat.
I have had the same experience.
Before retiring, I worked my whole career in New York City. I would see rats literally every day in the subways and parks. They were quite brazen in the subways, foraging on the tracks and even sharing the platforms with people. They were not shy.
In the 25 years living here (in northeastern Pennsylvania) I have not seen one, thank goodness.
I guess if the conditions are right, anything can happen, as in addy's case.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
In our Florida rental, we had a food hoarder, she went into the hospital then a care center for about a month, she passed.

The rats moved in and had a party a big party! They chewed up the refrigerator, the metal food cans, the cabinets, left presents behind the dry wall everywhere. We had to tear out and removed all the cabinets, the dry wall etc to get rid of the debris and the horrible smell. Hired a rat remover, took 3 months to get them out. One ran across my shoe when we went down after she passed.

The smell was horrible, police were called saying someone died in the house (before we even knew there was a issue) We hired a company to go in and remove all the rotted food which was everywhere! The house is no longer a rental, we just let it sit unless we go down, hubbies son has been using it a bunch. He has become a frequent flyer to FL from MD.

I must be living in magic no-rat land or something; I had no idea rats were such a pita in other places! Glad you got it sorted, though. Guess the moral of this story is keep things clean and tidy, hey?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
just out of curiosity, do you see rats routinely in your neck of the woods, j.w? I always sort of figured they were more an inner city type varmint. Seriously, in all my 6 decades of life, I've never seen a wild rat.
We live right next door to a horse farm breeder and they have to feed the horse's of course, and horses eat grain..............so do rats. We have had issues here at all 5 homes w/them getting under neath and making a real mess. Everyone set traps, puts down poison and some called the exterminators. All seems fine for now but w/the farm not going anywhere we will always need to be on guard. No one has ivy for them to hide in but they will find somewhere to live and populate if we don't stay on our toes. My neighbor had chickens right near her house a few years back too and she could look out her side window and see the rats all marching in formation from under the chicken coop to under her house! They hooked a hose up to the exhaust of their car and stuck the hose down the rat tunnels and killed a bunch of them but still they lived on so they called the exterminator. Just cuz you don't see them does not mean they aren't around. When they do damage or leave little brown reminders and the smell of urine under the house or anywhere then you will know they are ready to rumble! Get rid of them fast or they will overtake the world! I really don't like having to kill anything.............but it is them or us!
I must admit tho they are so cute
1645035539182.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We live right next door to a horse farm breeder and they have to feed the horse's of course, and horses eat grain..............so do rats. We have had issues here at all 5 homes w/them getting under neath and making a real mess. Everyone set traps, puts down poison and some called the exterminators. All seems fine for now but w/the farm not going anywhere we will always need to be on guard. No one has ivy for them to hide in but they will find somewhere to live and populate if we don't stay on our toes. My neighbor had chickens right near her house a few years back too and she could look out her side window and see the rats all marching in formation from under the chicken coop to under her house! They hooked a hose up to the exhaust of their car and stuck the hose down the rat tunnels and killed a bunch of them but still they lived on so they called the exterminator. Just cuz you don't see them does not mean they aren't around. When they do damage or leave little brown reminders and the smell of urine under the house or anywhere then you will know they are ready to rumble! Get rid of them fast or they will overtake the world! I really don't like having to kill anything.............but it is them or us!
I must admit tho they are so cute View attachment 147745
especially carrying a party size Italian submarine sandwich! :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
There was a video I saw recently that showed a rat dragging a whole slice of pizza along the subway tracks. I think in was in Manhattan.
It was funny. He was struggling a bit, but he was dragging it along the tracks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
There was a video I saw recently that showed a rat dragging a whole slice of pizza along the subway tracks. I think in was in Manhattan.
It was funny. He was struggling a bit, but he was dragging it along the tracks.
oooh, oooh, let me, let me (waving my arm vigorously)! ; Was there any pineapple on it?????

@j.w & @Dimelius ; pay attention! :p:p:p:p:p

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh no!
Sorry peeps!
I forgot about the pizza obsession!
I will never mention that word again! :unsure:
You've put your foot into now and we ain't lettin you out that easy. You will now be plagued w/anything to do w/pizza. Isn't it nice to be included? :p

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
English ivy will grow in shade but you maybe sorry it too is very aggressive and invasive

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i WOULD LOOK INTO BUYING EATHER LARGE PINE BARK . OR LIKE SCOTISH PINE GIANT PINE NEEDLES AND COVER THE ENTIRE AREA OR AT LEAST MOST OF IN AND MAKE SOME PLANTING AREAS WITH HOSTAS OR SOMETHING . RHOTODENDRONS ANYONE

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I Look at it as yet ANOTHER Childs toy dancing around my screen . too much of a good thing ain't so good after a while, Which i know it invites yet even more . just being honest we all need people to say whats what

Ask a Question