Creeping Charlie. Can it replace grass as a lawn?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I Look at it as yet ANOTHER Childs toy dancing around my screen . too much of a good thing ain't so good after a while, Which i know it invites yet even more . just being honest we all need people to say whats what
Most ivy I've ever seen gets dense, doesn't allow much for weeds to take root, and indeed, grows in the shade. No maintenance unless you want to keep it off trees, houses and it does't demand much attention for helping areas where grass, esp, won't grow.

'need people to say what's what'. Fine, we'll play by your rules;

@GBBUDD
do we go then with YOUR honesty, then GB? Does the world then dance to your tune? Pretty easy to say stuff that matters to you while ignoring that others might think different. Isn't that a liberal dem thing, something you keep b*tching against? And something I agree with? Told you once; you can TURN the siggys off; take a moment and consider that your alternative. Do I routinely complain how difficult it is to read your posts? Especially when you can't take a moment to turn off caps lock? Spell check much of what you post? Look for grammar that NEEDS punctuation just to be understood? See, I never have taken you to task for that and 'put up' with it. Seems your ability to turn off siggys so you aren't bothered is easier than my ability to 'insure posters spell correctly and use proper English grammar so the brain doesn't have seizures' option.

Off topic? You brought it up, twice now. Your own words come back to me now; chill.

Last edited:

keshimakesh

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I have some creeping charlie in my yard, so thought I'd weigh in.

Pros of creeping charlie:
  • It doesn't entirely die back in the winter (at least in Zone 6B). Instead, its leaves turn a kind of purple / dark greenish (took a picture from my yard)
    PXL_20220217_170659569.jpg
  • In the spring it has some pretty purple flowers that the bees love. (It's not a great image but you can see the flowers in the top of this picture here)
    IMG_20200506_165657.jpg
  • When you walk on it, it smells vaguely minty.
  • Loves the shade.
Cons of creeping charlie:
  • Left to its own devices, it'll seriously take over and shoot runners everywhere. If you want something tidy that won't invade any flower beds or vegetable gardens, steer clear of creeping charlie.
  • While it smells good when you step on it, it really can't tolerate much foot traffic.
  • If you ever decide you don't want the creeping charlie anymore, it's SUPER hard to get rid of once it's established.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
in the very beginning of this video at the bottom of the stone wall you can see what creeping charlie looks like in moderate shade

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Great input and suggestions.

The minty smell of Creeping Charlie sounds like a nice bonus.

Ivy sounds like it too will do the job, but it sounds a bit too invasive.
Maybe there's a way to keep it under control? Pruning?

It seems the ivy will stay green all year. That's a plus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Great input and suggestions.

The minty smell of Creeping Charlie sounds like a nice bonus.

Ivy sounds like it too will do the job, but it sounds a bit too invasive.
Maybe there's a way to keep it under control? Pruning?

It seems the ivy will stay green all year. That's a plus.
like most plants, PJ, if you turn your back and ignore it, you WiLL have issues. You can keep ivy short by mowing it, you can cut it back off trees and buildings; just monitor YEARLY, not every 5 or so. It doesn't grow that fast but is very hardy. Myrtle is softer growth and has the blue flowers in spring, easier, maybe a bit faster grower...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know your probably tired of dirt but ivy and chatlie wil fix todays problem but anyone who has eather they are there own MONSTER MAKE some planting beds with rock walls make yourself some moss gardens or like thee japanese simple designs with still life UNUSUAL ROCK LIKE BLACK RIVER ROCK OR THE HUGE BARK CHIPS AND NEEDLES. those plants one i have now pops up everywhere. i put brand new soil in for a mass planting last year and guess what appeared and already killed off two of the plants

Ask a Question