Cricket

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
javascript:poiZoom(.26333,51.13245,map,11);
Never had a Cricket in my garden before, so when I heard him I went looking for him and I found him...

I took several shots and this is my favourite.

P4090286.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Same here, picture shows up as IMG , but when I quote Meyer's post, the image shows up there.
Tiny Termite's picture looks like a grasshopper to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Grasshoppers have ears on their abdomens and Crickets have ears on their front legs, so this is in fact a Grasshopper. I thought it was a Cricket because of it's long antennas.

So Mmathis was right to question this, as I have furthered my education somewhat today.

Cheers ;)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Grasshoppers have ears on their abdomens and Crickets have ears on their front legs, so this is in fact a Grasshopper. I thought it was a Cricket because of it's long antennas.

So Mmathis was right to question this, as I have furthered my education somewhat today.

Cheers ;)
Thanks Tiny, but no, you have furthered MY educatation!! I wasn't looking at it's legs or abs, just that its head looked like a hopper. Personally, I'm not a fan of bugs (well, insects, actually). For some reason, they just creep me out -- maybe I watched too many SciFi movies when I was a kid........ Oh, but I like Preying Mantis' and butterflies :)

But even though I have an aversion to "bugs," I can appreciate the photography, so please continue to enlighten us!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Thanks Mmathis.

I took this photo a couple of years ago and you can clearly see the Ear just below the joint on the front leg, it's oval shaped.

This is a Speckled Bush Cricket.

P1480026.jpg

Ask a Question