Curious about your pumps!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am a new member from over the weekend and wanted to start a new thread so I don't clog up the introduction! I need to purchase a new pump for my 4500 gallon koi pond. I have been looking online and have found a few options but I am curious as to what you use and why you do or do not like it. I would love some input on which brand you use. I have never used a submersible pump but it looks like something I may be interested in. Having never used one I'm just curious on your thoughts!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
laguna love them and 4 year warranty is great because I accidentally broke the ceramic shaft on my one and went to webbs where I bought and laguna sent me 2 replacements free .I have the 2900 gph and the 2400 gph and watt tester says they are using total 120 watts .Laguna pumps usually never use as much energy as stated because it all depends on head height and size of hose .Harbor freight one I had was great also because of price but it did use 155 watts for the 2150 gph but have to say I think it was pumping more water than my 2900 gph .Got it on sale 69 dollars and then used a 20% off coupon .My neighbors hubby cleaned it all out and she is using it with no problems .It was ok for my pond but the new laguna one said 100 watts but only is using 74 watts as of yesterday when i checked it on watt tester and the 2400 is using 35 watts as of yesterday,so to me the lower electric rate pays for the cost of the pumps already .I also have there 1000 gph pump that i use in the winter.If you go on webbs online it explains these next generation pumps .Watt testers are handy to have and got mine at harbor freight also

Reaction score
Country
United States
laguna love them and 4 year warranty is great because I accidentally broke the ceramic shaft on my one and went to webbs where I bought and laguna sent me 2 replacements free .I have the 2900 gph and the 2400 gph and watt tester says they are using total 120 watts .Laguna pumps usually never use as much energy as stated because it all depends on head height and size of hose .Harbor freight one I had was great also because of price but it did use 155 watts for the 2150 gph but have to say I think it was pumping more water than my 2900 gph .Got it on sale 69 dollars and then used a 20% off coupon .My neighbors hubby cleaned it all out and she is using it with no problems .It was ok for my pond but the new laguna one said 100 watts but only is using 74 watts as of yesterday when i checked it on watt tester and the 2400 is using 35 watts as of yesterday,so to me the lower electric rate pays for the cost of the pumps already .I also have there 1000 gph pump that i use in the winter.If you go on webbs online it explains these next generation pumps .Watt testers are handy to have and got mine at harbor freight also

Thank you for the info, Sissy! I will look at the laguna pumps now. I can not get my pump to run today, so this is something I need to purchase immediately.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is always the main reason i use 2 pumps and always have one on hand .I had it happen one very hot summer and learned the hard way .Always if you are going to go with the bigger pump buy another one .I have a 1000 gph laguna skimmer pump (I don't have a skimmer ) that i use in the winter but is handy if anything happens .I got it for 25 dollars on ebay new but box was damaged,i figured it was worth it .Well worth the piece of mind .I also use a smaller one for my 2 U.V.'s The lack of oxygen can kill fish and over night plants use up oxygen and during the day give it off .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for the info, Sissy! I will look at the laguna pumps now. I can not get my pump to run today, so this is something I need to purchase immediately.

I just looked at the laguna maxflo 4280 gph. I actually looked at them last night too. I found it for $259 on amazon. I've never really used ebay, but I'll look on there also.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Webbs and country fish girl on ebay .Webbs does have a sale now and have an online store also .I am going to harbor freight this week to pick up another 2150 gph pump as a gift for a friend that just built a pond but cannot afford a pump yet .So it will be her birthday gift to start up her pond and then I will give her fish next spring .I already gave her plants .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I actually used webbs store to look at energy costs for all brands of pumps and head heights .It is a good source to compare pumps with my pumps on ebay they were at a higher price but i made a best offer and they took it free shipping and no taxes

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Webbs and country fish girl on ebay .Webbs does have a sale now and have an online store also .I am going to harbor freight this week to pick up another 2150 gph pump as a gift for a friend that just built a pond but cannot afford a pump yet .So it will be her birthday gift to start up her pond and then I will give her fish next spring .I already gave her plants .

I need to find a friend like you! Lol.. I will check out Webbs now. Thank you so much for your help!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am known to be cheap but i call it frugal .I try to save money no skimmer just 2 filters and like you said crates rule .:);)My pond is clear and have had the same original fish for 111 years but have only kept a couple of babies .I lost one fish to a toad and one fish jumped out and did not know shubbies have a habit of doing that .I think I do OK for a quirky set up .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
meant to add webbs is from maryland so do they have a store there .I think it was white marsh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
For a pond of that size and koi keeping, you might want to stick with an external pump. I say that, as many of the more powerful filters recommended for koi, require an external pump.

My pond is only 1700 gallons and although I have 5 koi, it's not a dedicated koi pond with a bottom drain etc. I use submersible pumps and haven't had any problems. I've been researching better filtration for next year and most require an external pump.

Reaction score
Country
United States
For a pond of that size and koi keeping, you might want to stick with an external pump. I say that, as many of the more powerful filters recommended for koi, require an external pump.

My pond is only 1700 gallons and although I have 5 koi, it's not a dedicated koi pond with a bottom drain etc. I use submersible pumps and haven't had any problems. I've been researching better filtration for next year and most require an external pump.

Thank you for the info, Tula! I dont have a bottom drain either. I will go look at the external pumps now. I just want to make sure I'm buying what's best for my pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am known to be cheap but i call it frugal .I try to save money no skimmer just 2 filters and like you said crates rule .:);)My pond is clear and have had the same original fish for 111 years but have only kept a couple of babies .I lost one fish to a toad and one fish jumped out and did not know shubbies have a habit of doing that .I think I do OK for a quirky set up .

I am very "frugal" as well!

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I just looked at the laguna maxflo 4280 gph. I actually looked at them last night too. I found it for $259 on amazon. I've never really used ebay, but I'll look on there also.
That's a decent price for that many GPH.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have never had a problem and sometimes think that some of the sellers saying you need this and that are just selling .My 2 koi are over 2 feet long no bottom drain ,no skimmer and just 2 home made filters .one is just a crate but right now is another filter until i get a new liner for that filter area .When I redid it I accidentally dropped a rock and punctured it .It was just a piece of pvc liner since it was easier to form to the small area .Mine have every kind of fish from fancy tails to koi .I think as long as it is over aerated it is easy .After starting over last year I figure I was in for the new ponders nightmare .Nope just set the pond up the same way I had the old one and was amazed ,All I did was use bigger pumps and a bigger aerator .If you keep it simple I think any thing will work .I read lots on over aerating a pond and I really think it is true

Ask a Question