New to site, curious about solar pumps

Discussion in 'Pond Construction & Equipment' started by mtravigne, Apr 16, 2018.

1. mtravigne

mtravigne

Im in the early stages of designing a 10 x 8 foot fish pond/water garden far from electricity. Has anyone had luck with a solar powered pump? The area is shady but does get direct sun at times.

mtravigne, Apr 16, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. mtravigne

qclabrat

I had one a few years back for a small container pond, worked for about 2 yrs before it died. I'm skeptical that you could circulate enough water for a pond your size with solar power, unless you have very large panels

qclabrat, Apr 16, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. mtravigne

Lisak1

Yup - just don't think the technology has gotten to that point yet that you could reliably run a big enough pump for a pond the size you are planning.

Lisak1, Apr 16, 2018
  4. mtravigne

mtravigne

That’s kind of what I thought. Thanks for the replies. Going to have to run electrical I think.

mtravigne, Apr 16, 2018
    addy1 likes this.
  5. mtravigne

GBBUDD

Some of the high efficiency pumps today run on very low consumption rates. It may be possible but I would imagine you would need several panels. I would hope that these homes you see today with the entire roof covered in panels would be able to power one pump. But I don't know the pump I just bought is 12,000 gph at 4.9 amps at 230 volts

GBBUDD, Apr 19, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question