New to site, curious about solar pumps

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
Im in the early stages of designing a 10 x 8 foot fish pond/water garden far from electricity. Has anyone had luck with a solar powered pump? The area is shady but does get direct sun at times.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I had one a few years back for a small container pond, worked for about 2 yrs before it died. I'm skeptical that you could circulate enough water for a pond your size with solar power, unless you have very large panels

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup - just don't think the technology has gotten to that point yet that you could reliably run a big enough pump for a pond the size you are planning.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
That’s kind of what I thought. Thanks for the replies. Going to have to run electrical I think.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some of the high efficiency pumps today run on very low consumption rates. It may be possible but I would imagine you would need several panels. I would hope that these homes you see today with the entire roof covered in panels would be able to power one pump. But I don't know the pump I just bought is 12,000 gph at 4.9 amps at 230 volts

Ask a Question