Curious what these are?

Reaction score
Dave 54 said:
Quite interesting never seen them in our UK pond and nobody has ever reported anything on them.
Are they similar to the sand hopper and their darker cousins who like to hide under rocks doormats etc ?
I't'd be interesting to know , thanx for sharing this mystery ?

rgrds

Dave
They seem to stay on the surface and on the pond plants so far. And your welcome :) always fun to learn new stuff.

Reaction score
CountryEscape said:
Wow, great info, Adavisus and thanks for getting us more info on it Zen! I'm sure that's what I saw yesterday as well, although I have the black variety in my area. Glad they are no threat to anything, and may even do some help with algae!
Your very welcome :) thanks for everyone's input also ;)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good going Andy,the mystery is solved! Never seen any here yet. Are they everywhere in the country I wonder?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Have heard of folk in Australia noticing purply Springtails in numbers that worried them, they are an ancient, rather humble critter, as they flourish in cooler conditions they get the chance to show up before other critters come along and :::snack::: on them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
JW, with all your rain and standing water, I'm surprised you have not seen them if they are there. When I was walking in the mud yesterday, I saw tons of tiny black specks "walking on water", and wondered what they were. They swarm, never saw just a couple, always a bunch. So, go outside, walk around in the ditches of water, see if you see any! I didn't notice any on my pond, just out in the pasture in the little holes from the horse and cow hooves, where water was standing. I was also using the hoe to trench the water way from where the sump pump from the house exits, saw a bunch of them there, too. Funny, that I saw them on the same day Zen posted this! I love seeing questions solved on this forum.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well if these are them then we have them. I found this on a site where someone posted these in Washington state. I'll know what they are whenever I see them now.
springtails_cathy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yep, I bet that's them. Some look just hatched, others little older. The ones I saw didn't look elongated like this, but if I had a super duper camera lens like these people have, they may have! Those look very much like Zen posted initially, though. Now, look in those puddles when you go for your walks, and in the ditches, too! I remember as a kid sitting on the edge of the ditch in our neighborhood (in town, subdivision) and watching all the bugs. I thought they were Sea Monkeys, and in reality, they probably were! Cause we all know, there really aren't sea monkeys like the pictures show them. LOL

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I shall be looking today when on my walk. And so I see from Andy's post they are of no harm in our ponds.

Reaction score
j.w said:
Well if these are them then we have them. I found this on a site where someone posted these in Washington state. I'll know what they are whenever I see them now.

springtails_cathy.jpg
Yes that's them for sure

Ask a Question