Cut them all back?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hey everyone! The plant area near my waterfall has really become a mess. There are two lily planters down there and everything is intermixed with parrots feather. There are a bunch of flower buds on the lily, so I would sort of hate to chop them down. But in an effort to get that area looking less messy, I am tempted to whack everything down and let it start over. There are tons of roots hanging down from the parrots feather and all the oak tree doodles (and now the little Sputnik shaped doodle holders) have fallen in and collected in the roots. The tannins from the debris are making the water dark. It kind of seems like cutting it back would be the most efficient thing to do. I didn't cut them back in the winter because everything was still growing - and I wanted to leave some cover for the fish.
What do you think?
IMG_1239.jpg

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Whatever you do don't cut too much back. Every time I clean up the plants in my pond, I remove too many and get an algae bloom!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Maybe instead of chopping things down, thin out. Pull some of the parrot feather and smaller plants. My bog was overrun with water celery. I pulled every piece I could now all the other plants are coming up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Whatever you do don't cut too much back. Every time I clean up the plants in my pond, I remove too many and get an algae bloom!
I wondered about that, too! I do have a ton of plants on the other half of the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just reach in and pull this or that until
I am happy, I never really cut down , most of the time just let everything grow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm an @addy1 style gardener - pull, yank, cut, tug until I'm happy. Sometimes that means it's all gone when I'm done, but I've learned it all grows back! I never hesitate to yank out lily pads - they come back faster than I can pull them. Sometimes I yank them out just because they're too tangled up and that messes with my sense of order!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm an @addy1 style gardener - pull, yank, cut, tug until I'm happy.
Or , usually, I just ignore the mess......................
that messes with my sense of order!
I don't have any sense of order plants are plants, my late hubby wanted everything, trees, plants etc in a straight line................drove me crazy. I plant with the thought oh there is a spot stick a plant it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's my therapy... I get in the pond and start untangling the lily pads. One by one, get them alllllll unwound. If they fight me, I yank them out!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'm just thinking there is so much grunge stuck in all of it. I think it is making the water funky. I feel like if I pulled stuff individually, that would just set it loose in the pond. But I'm sure one day I'll get out there and the urge to pull will overtake me!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It's my therapy... I get in the pond and start untangling the lily pads. One by one, get them alllllll unwound. If they fight me, I yank them out!
oh my that would take me forever and ever and they would just tangle again. No thanks! I have zero ocd, order , must be straight, must be perfect in my personality.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'll come do it for you @addy1 . You'll see - so much satisfaction. But first the snake needs to move on.
Lets see, 15 lilies in pots in the big pond, 4 free lilies in the snake friendly pond, two lilies in one of the loop ponds, one in a stream pond. Get one all done then by the time done with the others start over...................oh and 6 lilies in the hot tub pond.................

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hey everyone! The plant area near my waterfall has really become a mess. There are two lily planters down there and everything is intermixed with parrots feather. There are a bunch of flower buds on the lily, so I would sort of hate to chop them down. But in an effort to get that area looking less messy, I am tempted to whack everything down and let it start over. There are tons of roots hanging down from the parrots feather and all the oak tree doodles (and now the little Sputnik shaped doodle holders) have fallen in and collected in the roots. The tannins from the debris are making the water dark. It kind of seems like cutting it back would be the most efficient thing to do. I didn't cut them back in the winter because everything was still growing - and I wanted to leave some cover for the fish.
What do you think?
View attachment 138507
OK, In my opinion, it's time to evoke the 'Rule of Ugly'. This is my one, hard & fast, gardening rule. It typically is more relevant to a land-based garden, but works for water gardens as well. What it entails is this: When you look at your garden (water or otherwise) & think "My, that's UGLY!" Get in there with your scissors, cutters or pruners & start cutting until you think "That's not ugly anymore." The plants will either grow back & look better, or they'll die (and if that is the case, did you *really* want something 'ugly' in your garden to begin with? I'm thinking not...) So, my advice is: PRUNE away!! Do what you need to in order to make your (water) garden look nice to your esthetic eye.

I just spent a couple of hours this afternoon in my pond taming bog bean, potting up a lily that had gone 'rogue', and generally making things neat enough to appeal to my sense of aesthetics, while still maintaining just enough 'messy' enough to keep the local wildlife happy. It's a balancing act.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
100% agree @BKHpondcritters ! Last year I decided was the year to rid my gardens of things that annoyed me - took out two big hedges that I despised because they created hours of work in trimming and they were hard to work around. GONE! So much better!

Ask a Question