Cutest little frogs!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
One of the few plants still thriving after the freezes are my pitcher plants so naturally, that's what I notice when I walk by the bog. And this morning I was surprised to see a teensy little tree frog perched on top of one of the pitchers. Not even an inch long, just the cutest little guy. Then later in the day I spotted an even smaller one at the base of the pitchers. It tried stalking a roly poly bug for dinner but the bug was too big to eat :) Tiny little froglet
P1080790.JPG
20231106_130556.jpg
P1080711.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Love them pitchers in the heat mine don't get that tall. and my tree frogs are grayer than gray

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Love them pitchers in the heat mine don't get that tall. and my tree frogs are grayer than gray
I have seen one other gray frog adult. They're new to me so I get a charge whenever I get to see them. It was crazy warm again here today - not sure how the pitchers will do once it starts really getting cold. But I do plan to leave the brown ones on the plant till spring so they can continue to feed the plant. I think I saw you say you do the same.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I Have read the nurseries will cut them back in the fall as in winter the plant goes dormant here in the north east they say the semi digested bug will become poison, and they recommended cutting. but i guarantee you in nature no one cuts them back so i have done both and i saw no drastic differences.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Those little guys are sooooo cute and vulnerable. I found one in my trash bin last week and had to coax out it so the hydraulic arm of the 'Garbage Glom' didn't scoop it away! It is amazing where they turn up! Great pitcher plants too! Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Those little guys are sooooo cute and vulnerable. I found one in my trash bin last week and had to coax out it so the hydraulic arm of the 'Garbage Glom' didn't scoop it away! It is amazing where they turn up! Great pitcher plants too! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks I'm really loving the pitchers. But those froglets are just so cute! Thanks for rescuing that one :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have both gray and green tree frogs here. Every year they breed in the pool I have for water lilies. It's still teeming with their little tadpoles that will overwinter in there. In Spring they will complete the transformation and be frogs.

That process is always amazing to me. The first winter they were in there I was convinced all those tadpoles would die. But they didn't. Just took a break. We do cover the pool to keep it from freezing and splitting, but I really didn't think they would make it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We have both gray and green tree frogs here. Every year they breed in the pool I have for water lilies. It's still teeming with their little tadpoles that will overwinter in there. In Spring they will complete the transformation and be frogs.

That process is always amazing to me. The first winter they were in there I was convinced all those tadpoles would die. But they didn't. Just took a break. We do cover the pool to keep it from freezing and splitting, but I really didn't think they would make it.
That's so interesting, I would have thought they would have timed it so all the tads were developed before the cold weather.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was surprised there were so many left in there that first year and most of them had not even started to develop into frogs. It's been the same every year since.

They just stop transforming until it warms up again in spring. Nature is truly incredible to me.

Was the little one in the pitcher plant able to climb back out? I hope so. They are really cute and we find them climbing on everything once they venture out of the pool.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
None that I saw were actually IN a pitcher, just on the lid. I've tried to peer into them but have never seen one inside a pitcher yet. I'll keep checking, but I would think they could manage to escape. :unsure:

But, it does give me one more excuse to go look at the bog a little more closely :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I never cut back my pitchers plants, they are doing just fine!

Those frogs are so cute!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
of course the frogs like them the pitcher secretes a sweet nectar attracting bugs while the frog steals the meal

Ask a Question