Waterfall pipes

Reaction score
Country
United States
We bought a house with a pond. Two years ago the top 20 feet of a 100 foot tall tree fell in the pond in a severe wind. There were many holes in the liner. I have patched most, but leaks continue, so we will replace 25 year old liner this year, or next. I have a question about where the waterfall piping should be, with submerged pumps, should pipes stay in the water, or cross outside the liner? I live near Pittsburgh, get hard freezes, this year a PVC valve on my filter system froze and split. Filter was not in use, but lost water in the spring when valve thawed out.
Thanks for any advice.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A lot of the Aquascape pros on Youtube will go through the liner using a bulkhead, but OzPonds keeps it in the liner. His reasoning is that if there's a leak, it stays in the liner and pond so your water level doesn't go down as much. That line of thinking makes sense to me, but since I'm still building my first pond you can take what I say with a grain of salt. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Elephant 2.gif
and welcome @pondfixer
My tubing is under the dirt to the waterfall but we don't have really bad freezing here. So far so good for over 20 yrs. I like the idea tho of putting it on the liner so in case it leaks your pond does not lose water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
After building my pond and picking up on some things id do differently . One of which i may do as follows . if you know how a bog is build the centipede is built into trench . The liner is placed into the trench the centipede is the placed on the liner in the trench. '

So i asked myself why not do this in the pond like with the main drain and skimmer, piping as well as any return jets.

This way all the piping is inside the pond as is the skimmer and the main drains. It will require a little more thought and effort to plan out how everything will work, but it seems well worth the effort for a first or a rookie pond builder. So after you set the underlayment and liner , you then set the plumbing .Once everything is plumbed and sitting in their trench you can then hide the pipes with gravel boulders and even some wood like logs or tree stump.

Seems like a win win to me. Oh how i wish i could rebuild my pond knowing what i do now and not just working through the obstacles as i went.

Ask a Question