sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
nice family because that had to have been a lot of work they must love you very much and that makes me happy to hear . :razz: Especially these days .family and friends should be the most important thing

Reaction score
Agree sissy! Beautiful oasis Lou :) my little ponds give me much relaxation too, when I'm not messing around with it lol
Both my ponds are under trees, the smallest being a pre formed, and the roots do the same thing yours are doing. Before I figured it out though, I was loosing water at like 2" a day! Thought I had a hole in the bottom of the pond! Finally, as I was feeling around the bottom of it, almost upside-down on my head in the pond BTW lol under the sandstone I noticed fine roots down in the water! Geez! Crazy trees! So now I cut them off every couple months. No problems after that.
That desert willow is beautiful, don't think I've ever seen on before.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
That desert willow is beautiful, don't think I've ever seen on before.

This specific desert willow is sold as a Burgundy Lace Desert Willow due to the beautiful lace like blooms. Accustomed to sandy soile they actually get to large when planted in rich soil. This tree is very weak and if too large strong wind easily breaks either sizable limbs or the main trunk. The pictured willow is regrown from just such a split tree. Years ago we had a "hugh" one on the opposite side of the driveway. After numerous major breaks the primary trunk split. Saddly, we did away with the giant beauty.

Thanks for your reply.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Willow trees are beautiful trees but they call them "Widow Makers" for a reason. We have one in our back yard that is starting to get big. Hasn't lost any large limbs yet but we do get some big winds around her that sure blow all the skinny branches all over the place. We'll stay away from it in a storm!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Wow, that is quite an ambitious project! Bet it is beautiful. What kind of Cypress is yours? Our two are about 15 years old and according the LFT will mature in about 60 years. Isn't that amasing. I woul love to see pictures of your pond.

Big Lou you can check out my pics, there is a link under my post. I am not sure what kind of cypress it is, this year it finally got its first cone, only one.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 curly willows but they are planted way away from the septic tank and well .Sure don't want the root causing problems .I then heard that maple tree roots are just as bad . :neutral:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Big Lou you can check out my pics, there is a link under my post. I am not sure what kind of cypress it is, this year it finally got its first cone, only one.

Taherrmann4,

We viewed each and every image place your "General pics"! Your pond and surroundings are absolutely fantistic! I truly enjoyed viewing the entire building process. You and your wife are to be commended for establishing such an intricate, natural looking water garden. My Cathy was stunned by the overwhelming scope and beauty. Simply fantastic!

If you would, have another look at your cypress tree supplier attachment. One of the photo's shows Lake Martin. My wife and I fished that lake guided by a professional national bass champion. I don't know what cost more, the actual guide service or being guided by a past national champion. A memory we shall never forget.

Our home in Louisiana French Acadiana was in St. Landry Parish, west of the amazing Atchafalaya basin. My dear wife is a native of the region. Having lived there for the first 15 years of our marriage I was considered an adapted Cajun. :)

My hardest congratulations.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hey guys, can I put a Bald Cyprus in my BOG?!? Well, In a pot like Tmann? Although it might be difficult to control the roots with all the pea gravel...

Bald cypress grow to be very large trees and thrive in water. Your tree would look great in a large pot will require much labor. Also note that cutting the roots stresses the tree. Cypress trees in nature have a deep gunning tap root along with side finger roots that in themselves can get large. A true Louisana Cald Cypress matures after many decades. The Cypress tress shown in our pictures are very young at only 14 to 16 years old. Have fun and good luck!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
In a reply I promised to attach photo's of the Cypress tree roots growing into the pond yet on top of the liner. Have a look. Note the infant knots extending up from each root.

Attachments

• Left Cypress tree root with knots.JPG
    Left Cypress tree root with knots.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 190
  • Right Cypress tree root with knots.jpg
    Right Cypress tree root with knots.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 197

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
In a reply I promised to attach photo's of the Cypress tree roots growing into the pond yet on top of the liner. Have a look. Note the infant knots extending up from each root.
Those look very similar to my dawn redwood roots...

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hey guys, can I put a Bald Cyprus in my BOG?!? Well, In a pot like Tmann? Although it might be difficult to control the roots with all the pea gravel...

Fishy you could put it in a pot. Just try to get a pot that doesn't have any holes and keep the pot raised above the gravel in the bog by a few inches. I know big lou says not to trim the roots but I have been trimming any that wander outside the pots for the past few years with no side effects. I don't want the tree to get any taller so I cut the top off a few months ago and will keep it trimmed. I bought the tree for $12 i think 8 or 9 years ago and am not sure exactly what kind it is. It does lose it's leaves in the fall they turn a rust color and fall off. good luck.

Ask a Question