Dead Algae?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
What TM has does not look like cyano to me.
Cyanobacteria can almost look like there was some paint spilled in the pond, plus it will have a smell that smells different from typical plants and soil.
It's too bad that the term "blue-green algae" is used. It can be confusing.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I tried unsuccessfully to take any better pix than the ones already posted. But here are some pix from where a patch of it was growing among some Parrots feather roots -- I took 3 shots, zooming in. It has an unpleasant musty odor, if that helps.

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
TM that looks identical to what I have. A little cottage cheesy and kinda heavy when you net it out. Mine shows up in the day and sinks at night. My cat drinks out of the pond and is fine and my fish are still alive. I had a huge amount of it at the beginning of summer but the amount has drastically declined, (although I net every day after work).
And thanks for the pictures Meyer, I didn't think I had the BG algae but it's always good to know what to keep an eye out for.

Ask a Question