Decorative pebbles bad for pond?

Reaction score
Ok tested the tap water, it's perfect PH.
Its raining (again!) so might leave it in it's current state for the week,then do another water change with tap water and see how it is then.

Oh and there isn't any exposed concrete anywhere, I made sure of that when I made it :lol:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great job! ph can be a pain to get stable.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Joshi83 said:
Hi everyone,

In the never ending evolution of my pond, i have added a waterfall to add some aeration and movement to the water.
I have used a new paint roller tray with the shallow end edge cut off for a wide smooth fall into the pond. To help cover up the tray to make it not look like a paint tray (i.e cheap) i have put a few handfuls of white garden pebbles in the tray. (possibly quartz, not sure. Came in a 20kg bag when i did the courtyard years ago).
Is this kind of rock a bad thing to have in contact with the water?

I have an abnormally high PH and have read that sandstone etc can cause this.
It just seems no matter how regular i do water changes or try to adjust the level, my PH is always high?

Should i get rid of these pebbles and replace with 'Aquarium' pebbles?

Yes, cement can cause a High PH. that seems to be what the primary concern is from the original ost.

Reaction score
Ok after a week or so I'm happy to report that it has all settled down, did a small water change during the week and today the ph is perfect.
So yeah, don't know what caused the continual spike, but whatever it was it's not causing issues now.
Will continue to monitor it though just in case.

Iv also slightly widened the opening on the elcheapo waterfall too. I will post up a new post showing the build of the whole pond soon, including the waterfall, all made using bits and pieces laying around the house!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fantastic! glad it did for you, sure makes you happy doesn't it!

Ask a Question