DEER oh deer

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Not sure on the fishing line. Deer can be pretty clumsy and lumbering. Coupled with their poor eyesight, I can see them just brute forcing their way past fishing line, or dashing through it if startled, possibly hurting themselves. I've read something about using an angled fencing technique to keep them out -- deer can process the horizontal plane, and the vertical plane when calculating how to jump, but something on a diagonal tends to confuse them so they stay away. This also relies on the fencing being visible to them. But, that's a pretty obtrusive setup unless you do it along the perimeter of your property, rather than up near the pond.

If it were me and I had new plants on the way, i'd probably just net the bog area and use some sort of liquid fence spray for the short term while I come up with a more permanent game plan. If you do go down the fishing line route, let me know how it turns out!

Also, if you're looking to fill your bog with plants, don't forget that a lot of "soil"-based plants can thrive in a bog environment -- it may be a fun time to experiment with plants already in your yard that the Deer have proven to leave alone. (I know you just moved, so maybe there isn't much there from the previous owners, but figured I would mention it =D )
My property was abandoned about 12 years so it was covered with wisteria. Only black walnuts and a few big trees strong enough to remain. I only clear (i mean this lightly as baby wisterias still sprout from the ground like crazy) half of my property - no money for that kind of project for a while. so I dont have any plants around :( I saw some flowering bulbs though :)

I'll go get the liquid fencing thing today. I'll try that first. Then couple with the spicy peppers... I wonder if it has to be cayenne pepper? I have bags of thai red chilli flakes that I can spare ;)

I've put several soil based plants in there, coneflower is one of them but it gets tugged out of the gravel several times now.. so I dont know if it'll survive (the deer dont eat it, just tugged it out and leave it broken)

My Hibiscus is very sad though, only branches left, no leaf at all... same with arrowhead and pickerel :(

at least they havnt touch the sweet flag, grasses, and rushes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If I have something I really want to protect, I put a piece of chicken wire over it until it gets some growth going. I have a few tiny volunteer trees I have done that with, the deer quit eating them.

Might not look good but it works. Deer fencing wrapped around our emerald green arborvitaes kept them from munching them down this winter, they almost killed the trees last winter. I just did a tight wrap wire tied together.
will think of the long term after i experiemnt with the liquid fence. I will probably end up putting the fence up though.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have had good luck with some canisters of deer repellant I got at Lowes. They are filled with dried blood ( I suspect deer blood). These have redirected the deer to other areas of the yard. So far my garden, flowers and blueberries are untouched.
036348560067lg.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have had good luck with some canisters of deer repellant I got at Lowes. They are filled with dried blood ( I suspect deer blood). These have redirected the deer to other areas of the yard. So far my garden, flowers and blueberries are untouched.
036348560067lg.jpg

Ohh, that's good to know! Liquid fence is S.T.I.N.K.Y (for an hour or so until the smell dissipates). I may add these canisters to my arsenal!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nepen; I feel your pain. I've recently been battling with the deer the past few years, ever since a new housing development eliminated a nearby forest and pushed all those inhabitants into the neighborhood proper. I have lots of hostas and apparently, it's also like candy for deer. I thought to try the Deer Off, and their like, but the cost is probhibitive (to me) because I have so much area to protect (not my pond, but my gardens).

So, after doing some research, I now spray this concoction, as it's easy enough to make, and inexpensive; 3 eggs, 3 cloves of garlic, tablespoon of cayenne pepper, 6 oz. of red hot chili sauce and a quart of water. All go into the blender. Then I add another 4 gallons of water, filter out the large particles, then let it sit in the sun (covered) so it ferments. I then put it in a sprayer and spray whatever I think the varmints will eat (I'm also in a death struggle with the woodchucks and this stuff supposedly stops both). This solution gets stinkier by the week, but I figure it's worth it if the deer and woodchucks stay away. Only had one slip this year and a couple of hostas got it, along with not seeing the day lily buds soon enough!

This is the trick though, as already mentioned; you have to keep your stock sprayed. And since it HAS been raining a lot, I do it every day after a rain and when not raining, once a week. The idea is that the varmints won't take more than a bite and then a pattern is set so they leave your stock alone. I have had to upgrade my diligence though because last year, I started out fine, got lazy, had a large chunk of hostas served as lunch for the deer, and found I knew many more curse words than I ever thought. So, this year, I'm being religious about this, hoping to break any patterns and actually be able to see what some of my day lilies look like!

I don't thinks this recipe will adversely affect your pond as it's all natural and most of your spraying will be on the foliage. I don't 'wet' the leaves; I just spray lightly as you're only trying to alert the deer to the smell and probable bad taste.

I also did the 'green string line' trick, and it does seem to help. The idea here is that the deer can't see well, they bump into the string, get confused, and go around/back away. I have one line strung along the perimeter of my yard at about 5' and one at 3' (for the lil deer munchers). Since it's green, it's really hard for me to see it. If you have kids running through though, might want to put some tin foil/dangly silver for both deer and kids.

Anyway, just some ideas. I never thought I'd ever see a deer in my neighborhood and now, I wish I didn't! And, a couple of years ago, we had a coyote go running past as we sat in the pondhouse! And I live in a suburb! Btw, I DID try the coyote urine too but found it wasn't that effective and cost a lot more than my concoction.

Hope you can get a handle on your dear deer problem!

Michael

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you! I saw that but I wasnt sure. I'll try that to. I'll try them all!! dang it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Nepen; I feel your pain. I've recently been battling with the deer the past few years, ever since a new housing development eliminated a nearby forest and pushed all those inhabitants into the neighborhood proper. I have lots of hostas and apparently, it's also like candy for deer. I thought to try the Deer Off, and their like, but the cost is probhibitive (to me) because I have so much area to protect (not my pond, but my gardens).

So, after doing some research, I now spray this concoction, as it's easy enough to make, and inexpensive; 3 eggs, 3 cloves of garlic, tablespoon of cayenne pepper, 6 oz. of red hot chili sauce and a quart of water. All go into the blender. Then I add another 4 gallons of water, filter out the large particles, then let it sit in the sun (covered) so it ferments. I then put it in a sprayer and spray whatever I think the varmints will eat (I'm also in a death struggle with the woodchucks and this stuff supposedly stops both). This solution gets stinkier by the week, but I figure it's worth it if the deer and woodchucks stay away. Only had one slip this year and a couple of hostas got it, along with not seeing the day lily buds soon enough!

This is the trick though, as already mentioned; you have to keep your stock sprayed. And since it HAS been raining a lot, I do it every day after a rain and when not raining, once a week. The idea is that the varmints won't take more than a bite and then a pattern is set so they leave your stock alone. I have had to upgrade my diligence though because last year, I started out fine, got lazy, had a large chunk of hostas served as lunch for the deer, and found I knew many more curse words than I ever thought. So, this year, I'm being religious about this, hoping to break any patterns and actually be able to see what some of my day lilies look like!

I don't thinks this recipe will adversely affect your pond as it's all natural and most of your spraying will be on the foliage. I don't 'wet' the leaves; I just spray lightly as you're only trying to alert the deer to the smell and probable bad taste.

I also did the 'green string line' trick, and it does seem to help. The idea here is that the deer can't see well, they bump into the string, get confused, and go around/back away. I have one line strung along the perimeter of my yard at about 5' and one at 3' (for the lil deer munchers). Since it's green, it's really hard for me to see it. If you have kids running through though, might want to put some tin foil/dangly silver for both deer and kids.

Anyway, just some ideas. I never thought I'd ever see a deer in my neighborhood and now, I wish I didn't! And, a couple of years ago, we had a coyote go running past as we sat in the pondhouse! And I live in a suburb! Btw, I DID try the coyote urine too but found it wasn't that effective and cost a lot more than my concoction.

Hope you can get a handle on your dear deer problem!

Michael

Thanks Michael, I know my property had /have been a place for them to live for a long time (it was abandoned and full of wisteria covers) so I know i'll have a problem with them but I didnt think they will be brave enough to come this clse and even brave enough to go into the BOG!!

Anyway, I actually bought the liquid fence yesterday and sprayed it.. (i'm smelling it the whole time now, even here at work!) and my husband is complaining because it smells like death to him. he said no more! :( oh well, i'll do it when he wasnt looking he he.

So we will see how it goes. I know they visit every few days so if i can go a week without my plants being eaten then i'll be happy. The stuff gets into the water some but i think it should be fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That's good to know, I won't send you any of that.
I hope you get it worked out so you and the pond and the deer can live happily ever after.
I'll take anything, the more of those the better anyway! so dont worry, I'd love some sweet flags and rushes please :)

Ask a Question