Did they come in on a plant?

Reaction score
I found what I think are Koi fry in my pond. My Koi have been in the pond for around 3-4 weeks. Below are pics of the fry. I've been searching the pond for more but these are the only two I've netted. I think three were seen total by those out there Saturday.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41345832@N05/3813787654/
Is it possible these came in on a plant that I've gotten from somewhere else?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
They had to come from some were...
So you say 4 weeks ago there were no koi in the water ..
if some of your plants held water they could have made the trip

Reaction score
Let me clarify. The only koi were my own. I have three. Saturday we ended up two more in the pond. Very little ones. I'm only assuming they are koi fry. We bought some plants from somewhere else. I at first thought they were form my original Koi but now I'm not so sure since there's only two. Kinda figured I'd see more then two.

Another thing that made me wonder is this happened last year. I ended up with a little mosquito fish after buying some hyacinths off of ebay. There wasn't any water shipped with them. Just wet paper towels. The batch this year was just tossed in garbage bags and brought home and then rinsed in tap water.

Reaction score
lol Very true! I've got them indoors until they grow large enough to not wind up food themselves. Pretty neat little guys. That will make five of my allowed 7 if I figured up the fish stocking level right. A 3,000 gallon pond would house 7. The pea green water is now gone and things are clearing up. I'm wanting a good sourse of porous lava rock to add some more filtration. I bought a box of that Savio Springflo Bio-Filter Media but need two more. Anyone know how good it actually works before I buy the other two?

Ask a Question