Digging my pond deeper!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hi all... my fish are still indoors but should be out there in a month or so from now. I have begun digging my pond deeper. I managed to convince my husband to basically start over... he isnt happy but we are already in this now, no more newbie mistakes like last year!!!!

Got a 20x25 firestone liner... tetra pond pressurized filter with uv... and a savio master solids handling pump... got rid of that terrible all in one pump and filter I had from last year.

Ok so I started digging today... 4ft at my deep end... 3 ft deep for the rest of the pond... might make it a little deeper under my waterfall though. My savio master solids pump is a submersible pump so its going to go down in that deep end (everything is slanted down that way).

I also am making sure its all level due to a slope in my yard right where the pond is (so I dont have to look at the liner poking out on the higher side).

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has helped me since I have joined the forums. I have learned a lot and am looking forward to completing my pond again... lol

Ok... back to digging.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
sissy said:
remember never to put your pump on the bottom of the pond if anything ever happens you don't want to drain your pond completely
Very Important point there Sissy, It's best to place the pump at least 12-18" off the bottom just in case. You want enough water left behind if something does happen to be able to support the fish until you can fix the issue and slowly refill.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I made that mistake one winter.It wasn't quite on the bottom but close and had a hose on the fountain head part to keep water moving a blizzard set in and pump must have gotten knocked off because it was not tied down and hose was spitting water out the side of the pond .So make sure you secure it to the base holding it up also .I use coated wire I had from when I put my ceiling fans up .Not fun to be out side in a snow storm running hoses from the basement to put water back in the pond .Now I have the pump secured better .I also have all my hoses running inside the pond and even up the waterfall so if the leak no big deal .I also put liner under my filters and up around them with foam insulation to protect them from the cold .We don't get to bad of weather here but better to be safe than sorry

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
This is why I love you guys... I honestly wasnt thinking about elevating this pump! I had my last all in one pump/filter elevated off of the floor. I will add this to my to do list!!!

Going to buy a few pallets of rock thursday... had a rain delay yesterday (could have put in new underlayment and new liner) but now the old liner is covering the pond/hole in my yard (just barely). Im watching it fill slowly with rain and if it falls in, I may have a big muddy mess on my hands depending on how much rain we get. I may dig a "well" in the deep end 4.5ft just to give the fish a bit more room for the winter but they definitely will have more room with the new design.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Ok got things running... waterfall is partially done... I have calculated the new and improved pond to be 2800 gallons... i cannot attach a pic from my tablet (havent figured it out)... instagram @leet13 if anyone else uses it and wants to see pond pics.

Ask a Question