Stupid pond digging error. Please help.

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently digging pond and have dug out what should have been a planting shelf. Its 3.2 metres long. The soil is rock hard. Any tips on how to rebuild this shelf without collapse would be appreciated. I do have red house bricks available - would they be dangerous to the fish (this is all happening prior to the underlay and liner going down). Thanks in advance.
Wayne

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How deep is your pond where you want your plant shelves to be? That will depend on what I would use to rebuild the shelves. If it is only say a 12" or so I would suggest concrete blocks. If it is higher you may want to try rail road ties, you will have to make sure they are tied in to one another so they do not shift and fall into the pond, then lay your overlay and liner in. Or just go without the shelves!!

Reaction score
Thanks all,

taherrmann - The pond will be 1 metre deep for 60% and 50cms for the remaining 40%. I have looked at your pics and have to say your pond is beautiful. If I can get mine looking that good I will be a very happy man.

Dr case - I like the idea of forgetting the shelf but am planning to have quite a few plants. Would it not obstruct the fish to have too many. Please excuse my rather ridiculous questions but I am a complete novice when it comes to ponds and building. This is a 25 year long ambition which is finally happening as I got the go - ahead (and budget ((woefully under calculated budget at that - lol)) for my 40th birthday) from the wife. Many of my questions on here may seem quite basic and even silly but I dont want to make any mistakes (such as forgetting shelves during digging lol).

I am pleased that my error does seem to have a simple answer. As the good doctor Case said....

DrCase said:
I would call that a good error
Thanks again guys. So glad I found this forum.
Wayne

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We all have made pond building errors, some good some bad. Ask any ??'s you have, one way to learn and get help.

Ask a Question