Disappearing fish

Reaction score
I overwintered 6 goldfish. In early spring I lost one. He was the smallest and least robust of the fish so it wasn't a big shock. In late April I lost one of my big beautiful females. She showed no evidence of illness or injury. ( see "A fish died...) After water conditions and temps stabilized I added 2 fish from Petco's feeder tank. They spent a week in a quarantine tank before joining the pond. One is orange and black and the other is white. I have not seen the white fish for at least a week. I checked the pond to see if she was stuck somewhere. I checked my skimmer. My water is very clear so I can see all the details on the bottom. I have found no evidence of dead fish remains. Question--will goldfish eat other goldfish? I have started feeding them cold weather food about 2-3 times a week. Earthworms will also wind up in there, and they eat those. So I can't see them cannibalizing each other out of desperation. Any ideas?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
New fish sometimes play the shy game and hide for a while. I've gone weeks without seeing a new fish, but there are LOTS of places in my pond for them to hide. And sometimes I HAVE had unexplained disappearances. Just keep looking, and don't give up too soon.

Reaction score
Litzi1964 said:
( see "A fish died...)
Seriously? Couldn't post a link?
Litzi1964 said:
Question--will goldfish eat other goldfish? I have started feeding them cold weather food about 2-3 times a week. Earthworms will also wind up in there, and they eat those. So I can't see them cannibalizing each other out of desperation. Any ideas?
More of a blood thirst thing than a hunger for flesh. And it's not limited to other goldfish, but blood from any animal. Google "goldfish attacks on humans" for more info. They are blood thirsty little buggers. Especially the white ones.

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
I posted the other day about missing a small goldfish also. About 3-4 inches i Guess. I'm thinking its due to the rain and cold spell yet again that we are having. It was 39 degrees here this morn. When I went to inspect my pond yeserday eve all the fish were still. barely any movement. Water temp was about 45 when I checked. I'm hoping he comes around soon cause I see no signs of anything wrong. My water is crystal clear also since I just started mine up about a month ago and only have 6 small goldfish in 1000 gal pond.

Ask a Question