Disappearing Fish

Reaction score
So I am renting a house that has a 300 gallon pond with pump/filter providing a water feature. It is very overrun with algae, insects and one lillie pad looking plant covering about a third of the surface. It is about 14" deep. I don't run the pump, as I lose too much water when it is going and have to add too much per day to maintain it. I suspect it has a leak in the rock river or something, although I don't see any evidence of that, short of the lack of water.

My problem is that when I added 4 koi, about 4" in size, they immediately hid in the algae and don't ever come out. I have pulled out as much of the algae as possible, but I can't see any trace of them at all. How likely is it that a Garter Snake or bird has eaten them? Or could they simply be dead in the bottom hidden between rocks and algae.

I added two comets that were about 6" each to see if they would be better, but again I can't even see them. Day time, evenings, nothing.

Any simple water tests I can do to make sure they aren't just dying? I have never drained the pond, but I fill it up once in a while to keep it over half full.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Jason

rdk

Reaction score
How hot is it now where you live? New fish in a pond love to hide for a few days, but your pond is not deep so you should see them. Wild animals love to eat pond fish that is why I have a pond cover. RDK

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Koi hide very well. I'd suggest you test pH, kH, nitrites & nitrates (cheap 5 in 1 test strip), and check out the DIY section of the site, the sticky threads at the top tell you how to build cheap and easy biological filtration. That is, if you want to keep koi in that pond, anyway, you need that.

Reaction score
My first suspicion is that some critter is loving the gormet meals you are serving them. At 14" deep a heron or any one of many 4 legged critter can get in there easily and have a buffet. New fish are always spooked until they get comfortable. But in that small of area and 6 fish, I think you would see something.
Here's my suggestion. Drain the pond down and see if you have any fish left. This will let you know whether they are being ate or just hiding, or dead. If there are none there, until you get a net to cover it you are just restocking the buffet. If all of them are there, then it is time to protect them and get the pond healthy for them. If the rock river is leaking you need to at least unhook the pump from it and get it moving the water around. In a small pond like yours you need some splashing, moving water to get oxygen in there. Make sure when you refill the pond to decholrinate the water if you use city water.
If all the fish are gone, try buying some cheap feeder goldfish until you figure out what is eating the fish or they stop dying once you get the pond going a little better.
Smaller ponds are sometimes much harder to keep balanced and thriving then larger ponds. The parameters change very quickly.
I know this sounds like a lot of work right off the bat. And there is more work to be done after this to get it running properly. But the payoffs are worth it and it can be a very rewarding experience.

Reaction score
Excellent advice, thanks everyone. I will find some test strips and get the water tested.

As for the temperature here in the Salt Lake Valley, it is starting to cool off, but generally it has been in the high 80's over the past month.

I have seen a few garter snakes in the area, but no birds (short of Robin's and sparrows).

I will respond to my findings. ;)

Reaction score
Ok, so here is my update after testing.

PH 8.8 - Obviously an issue.
Nitrate - 0 PPM
Nitrite - 0 PPM
Amonia - 0 PPM

I bought the liquid test kit down at Pet's Mart, seemed like the most accurate and cheapest per test.

So obvious questions, how do I lower my PH and where should I try to keep it?

Any idea why it is so high? 8.8 is the highest my tester goes, so it might even be higher.

On another note, there are at least 3 fish alive in my pond, I went out at night with a flashlight and they were just hanging out. Why they aren't out in the day I can't explain.

Thanks again for your assistance.

-Jason

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i think that might be your problem the ph being to high ... you need to also test the water straight from your tap ..the ph in the pond should be about the same as your tap water ...water changes can lower your ph ...also ph being high is not always a problem if it stays the same its only if it goes up or down, dont garter snakes eat fish ?

Reaction score
The pH from the tap is 7.2, and I have read that a lot of algae can make the pH go up. So perhaps if I get the algae under control it will solve my pH worries.

Yes, garter snakes eat fish, hopefully these are too big for them (or will be shortly).

Will Muriatic Acid solve my problem? And can I add it safely with fish in there? And how much should I be adding?

-Jason

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
mfwing82 said:
I know acidic water will keep algae down I think baking soda will lower it

We have acidic well water, I am using baking soda to raise the ph.

Ask a Question