Disappearing fish.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh my! And I absolutely love critters from the weasel family — we’ve had domestic (strictly indoor) ferrets in the past. I didn’t realize how devastating they (weasel family in general, not domestic ferrets) can be for a pond, but it does make perfect sense! As much as I adore them, though, so glad we don’t have minks and such in this part of the country! So, how in the world do you weasel-proof a pond? (Not to hi-jack, but one of my most exciting ski trip experiences was spotting a pine marten in Colorado!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
If a mink were my issue and I would have to go with electric fence. I would have two rows one just off ground and one a few inches above. Small spikes to hold the metal wire you would not see really and although Sounds bad but will not harm them permanently. I just had 6 raccoons all at once and a skunk just after that. I noticed on my security camera that I just added to the pond and if I see any one trying for a snack look out. I would have it on timer to run after midnight till 5 am so no human issues. I love all the activity and welcome it but, I have a line.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the hallmarks of a mink predation is no evidence left behind. And an empty pond.

Well, I guess that it is most likely those little varmints who done the dirty deed !

Nice of 'em to clear away so thoroughly, though, having had dinner.

P.S. Would it be safe to say that if an otter can get into my garden, as has happened, so could mink ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Absolutely. People are often surprised to learn minks live in their area. One of my nutty neighbors called animal control once for a mink that had taken up residence under a dock on our neighborhood pond - she was sure it was someone's pet.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh my! And I absolutely love critters from the weasel family — we’ve had domestic (strictly indoor) ferrets in the past. I didn’t realize how devastating they (weasel family in general, not domestic ferrets) can be for a pond, but it does make perfect sense! As much as I adore them, though, so glad we don’t have minks and such in this part of the country! So, how in the world do you weasel-proof a pond? (Not to hi-jack, but one of my most exciting ski trip experiences was spotting a pine marten in Colorado!)

Again not to hijack, but we were driving along a road cut into the side of a dense jungle just outside of Simla in India four years ago. The jungle sloped upwards on the left and down into to valley on the right. About fifty yards ahead, a huge tiger jumped out of the jungle and stood in the middle of the road just glaring at us. After what seemed a lifetime, he then just loped off down the slope to the right. We were in an open Land Rover at the time !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Again not to hijack, but we were driving along a road cut into the side of a dense jungle just outside of Simla in India four years ago. The jungle sloped upwards on the left and down into to valley on the right. About fifty yards ahead, a huge tiger jumped out of the jungle and stood in the middle of the road just glaring at us. After what seemed a lifetime, he then just loped off down the slope to the right. We were in an open Land Rover at the time !
If a mink were my issue and I would have to go with electric fence. I would have two rows one just off ground and one a few inches above. Small spikes to hold the metal wire you would not see really and although Sounds bad but will not harm them permanently. I just had 6 raccoons all at once and a skunk just after that. I noticed on my security camera that I just added to the pond and if I see any one trying for a snack look out. I would have it on timer to run after midnight till 5 am so no human issues. I love all the activity and welcome it but, I have a line.

Can mink climb trees ? We have many oaks, elms, chestnuts and sycamores along the boundary walls. These overhang and have branches quite close to the ground.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

My husband has just chided me. He can trump our tiger story. About fifteen years ago when hunting in North Dakota or Montana ( he can't remember ), he was with an American friend driving a weird jeep fitted with flanged wheels along the Burlington North Railroad track. They drove into a cutting where they saw a baby bear sunning itself on the gravel. Hubby foolishly jumped out and ran towards to bear to get a photograph. The baby bear got up and ran into the trees. Despite his pal calling out a warning, stupid hubby ran after it, only to then be confronted by a ten foot Grizzly bear standing up right in front of him.
Only about five or six shots into the air got idiot hubby safely back into the jeep.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Um, @Rosanne, I think it’s OK to “hijack” you own thread, LOL! I just love NATURE!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
So sorry to hear about your fish. That's really horrible...
This doesn't help your situation at this point, but a camera or two might have helped to identify the culprit. Of course it would only identify, not prevent. But knowing who was invading might help in future prevention. I have a trail camera pointing at my pond which I review every so often. It runs on "C" batteries and has an SD card that I plug into my computer for viewing. It has a pretty wide angle lens on it so it captures a lot. It records sound, stills and video with many recording options. The videos are very good quality too and the batteries last a real long time. Moultrie is the brand.
Perhaps just some knetting? During the fall season, I use knetting to prevent leaves from landing in the water. During that time I always have a secure feeling that my fish are a bit safer.
I like the idea of an electric fence. The ones they use for horses are pretty strong...ask me how I know! Ouch!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
On the topic of electric fence I had seen one very nicely done with two rows wire. It was all way around a huge pond with maybe 12" high posts that looked very nice and were black so you really did notice them. Like I said a timer so all the day people and creatures are not effected. On my pond I have two security cameras. Since moving them onto the pond as I have 8 of them I noticed so much. One day my moss was messed up and that's when I saw mom and her 5 raccoon babies. Like I said I dont mind all the nature at all and even a mess or the odd slow goldfish would be natural. But if a particular predator was too take advantage of my good nature I would ensure it knows I know.

Ask a Question