Disappointing delays

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So I have big plans. I know what I want, and what I need to do it, but I just can’t seem to pick the right lottery numbers, or magically inherit millions from some unknown relative, and sadly, my job doesn’t just pay me what I think I’m worth, so... long story short, my pond build is delayed. Plan b is to move the pool over to the side of the house and set it up where the bbq is, shift the fish from the porch pond to the pool, and set the bbq on the porch. I’ll be getting tarps to cover the pool in case they spray again, and work on getting all the other stuff I need for the new build once that’s done. The reasonable side of my brain says it’s a good thing, so I can adjust my plans once we get the landscaping and fencing done if I need to, and I’ll be able to do a better job. I just don’t have 400 to spare for the mini excavator, plus the new pump, and the underlayment I wanted to do, not when this winter has been this hard. Instead, I’ll save up and buy the pump in November when I get my Christmas pay, and it’ll be on sale. I’ll take the time to prep the area where the pond will go, make sure the porch wall is sound, set up the bog filter, stockpiling what I’ll need. I’m disappointed, but gosh darn it, my lottery numbers just don’t match what’s drawn!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
i feel your pain, when my numbers up im not thinking lottery,im thinking pushing up dasies
so on the bright side i get to flower every year

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I gave up playing the lottery! I need to have a sale to sell all the pond equipmentI have. 20+ years, 2 ponds and selling koi every year and I have enough stuff to supply 3 ponds! Getting old, too many surgeries. I'm trying hard to scale back but that's just not me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
if it hurts its time to temporarily stop, till your ready to go again, tomorrow will be a better day
i hope you fully recovered from surgery

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I have big plans. I know what I want, and what I need to do it, but I just can’t seem to pick the right lottery numbers, or magically inherit millions from some unknown relative, and sadly, my job doesn’t just pay me what I think I’m worth, so... long story short, my pond build is delayed. Plan b is to move the pool over to the side of the house and set it up where the bbq is, shift the fish from the porch pond to the pool, and set the bbq on the porch. I’ll be getting tarps to cover the pool in case they spray again, and work on getting all the other stuff I need for the new build once that’s done. The reasonable side of my brain says it’s a good thing, so I can adjust my plans once we get the landscaping and fencing done if I need to, and I’ll be able to do a better job. I just don’t have 400 to spare for the mini excavator, plus the new pump, and the underlayment I wanted to do, not when this winter has been this hard. Instead, I’ll save up and buy the pump in November when I get my Christmas pay, and it’ll be on sale. I’ll take the time to prep the area where the pond will go, make sure the porch wall is sound, set up the bog filter, stockpiling what I’ll need. I’m disappointed, but gosh darn it, my lottery numbers just don’t match what’s drawn!
I like your winning the lottery idea!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I know how you feel. It took me a long time to get the pond that I wanted. Actually, it was a dream of mine from the time I was a kid, and to be honest, I never thought it was going to happen. I just about gave up any hope of ever having one before I realized that maybe I could make it happen. A few years later, I took the first steps. I had a tiny budget and went as cheap as I could on just about everything other than the liner, and I was finally able to make it work.

Long story short, the wait will be worth it.

Until then, you get to dream about it and continue planning, and to be honest, that's pretty fun, too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I know how you feel. It took me a long time to get the pond that I wanted. Actually, it was a dream of mine from the time I was a kid, and to be honest, I never thought it was going to happen. I just about gave up any hope of ever having one before I realized that maybe I could make it happen. A few years later, I took the first steps. I had a tiny budget and went as cheap as I could on just about everything other than the liner, and I was finally able to make it work.

Long story short, the wait will be worth it.

Until then, you get to dream about it and continue planning, and to be honest, that's pretty fun, too.
I’m thinking it will be good. It’ll let me focus on what I really need first, such as fixing the house and at least getting the landscaping organized better. Then I can better fix things up around the pond once it’s done.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Totally worth waiting until you can do it right. Otherwise you'll be doing it again. And again. And again. And you'll end up spending even MORE in the long run. You'll get there!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I hear you! I saved for a couple of years for the first pond. I AM SO HAPPY I decided to save money to buy the equipment I wanted, because the maintenance on the pond is so easy! It was completely worth postponing everything in order to do it "right." You will be glad you waited, in the long run.
I am still hoping we can do something in the backyard -- but we just found out we are going to need a new AC soon. Ugh. I'm not completely abandoning the idea, but really, my extra money from lawn mowing for the neighbor and clean-out-the-attic-garage-sale probably need to go into the AC fund.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
How big is your pond going to be?
Well, that depends entirely on how hard it is to dig!!!! I'm only half joking. The reason we did raised beds in the first place was that the back yard was scraped down to level for our addition 16 years ago. It was pretty much hardpan clay. I'm hoping that the years of topsoil, grass and raised beds with consistent watering have helped to loosen things up a little. Based on what I found when I dismantled the beds and moved the dirt ( and cautiously tried to get my shovel down below the surface) it has improved - but only somewhat. I think it will be doable. I'm pretty tenacious. Tenacious but in my mid 50s with arthritis. And not an athlete. I'm HOPING the main pond will be maybe 9 feet across and 12 feet long. Since it has to be done with just a shovel and determination -- and with a very tight budget -- it may not happen at all, depending on how it goes once I get started.

Reaction score
The reason I asked was that you said that you were going to rent a mini excavator. From the sound of it, the ground is not going to be easy to dig. A pond that size is going to create a lot of stuff to get rid of, and I mean a lot. You may want to see what it will cost to have someone do the digging and haul it away. It may not cost much more than doing it yourself.

Ask a Question