morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The majority of mulches (derived from natural sources. ie. black cedar mulch) are colored with a food-grade vegetable dye.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
My guess is the new liners may have a chemical or a mold or something on them to cause the deaths???!?? You said they were new ? What kind of liner did u use? I by all means am not pretending to know this answer I'm just guessing. I hope you don't lose any more!![/QUO
If the liner was the problem, you'd have more than just TWO fish dying.
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
You said you have mulch around the pond. A lot of mulches contain antifungal chemicals or artificial colorings.

That's a good suspicion. I have added rubber mulch. Maybe the chemicals from them did it.

Lost two more fish (ranchu and sanke opal - middle sized again), both sudden. The test should be arriving any day now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States

The bog liner is a pvc Beckett liner ordered from amazon. Others have used it in ponds without a problem.

The pond liner is made by a professional landscape pond company. They do this all the time and brought in the pond liner.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Faebinder There has to be something that we are missing.....

Was there any sign of injury [even very minor] on either of these fish?

[And just for my own curiosity, I thought that Ranchu were not normally considered suitable as pond fish since they are more susceptible to injury -- and you have them in with koi and a whole bunch of other "tank fish," like Celestial Eyes, Lion Heads, Orandas.......if I read your profile correctly. Wow! And how big is your pond? Maybe this has something to do with the deaths. Just wondering, not stating.]

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
My ranchus been a year with my other fish. Most are healthier than my other goldfish. I only have one koi. It's a 1000 gallon pond. None of my little fish are affected ironically all medium sized. My giant oranda is looking good and it's my fourth biggest fish.

No injury sign. The last dead fish has very blushing gills...

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's not uncommon for the larger fish to die first when there is a lack of oxygen (not saying that is the issue but you asked about oxygen levels)

By any chance have you added any new fish to the pond lately?

shellena

I can always figure out how to figure it out!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b 9a. Or 8a 9b
Country
United States
45mil EPDM is fish-safe.

That's one of the reasons that it's the standard in pond building. That and the fact that it's readily pliable and tougher than an ex-wife on a red-headed stepchild riding a second-hand donkey.
Never had the luxury of a second hand donkey!! Lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
It's not uncommon for the larger fish to die first when there is a lack of oxygen (not saying that is the issue but you asked about oxygen levels)

By any chance have you added any new fish to the pond lately?

Yeah 7 new fish.. healthy for sure (from DO auctions) and none are sick (been with me a month).

Ask a Question