image.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 217
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Second try looks better at 8. Still I'm not sure if it is a solid 8.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 229

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Looking at your test results, my perception (I hate color charts) is between 6 and 8. What is your water temperature? If low to mid 70s you are pretty close to 80% Oxygen saturation. That is obviously not your problem.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So seven new fish added all at once? Is this when the deaths started? Was it your new fish dying or the others?

Any time new fish are added it can cause stress to the fish (new and old) which can trigger illness or death. Your pond may also have been stocked at full capacity and by adding several fish it pushed it over the limit. The more fish in the pond, the larger the fish are (including the ones still growing), the warmer the temperature of the water will all deplete oxygen levels. When your deaths started do you remember if it was warmer? I know we have had an unusually warm summer here but thankfully my pond is shaded and I also added an aerator to the bottom of the pond late last year. I think that helps a lot with oxygenation and keeping things from settling to the bottom of the pond.

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So seven new fish added all at once? Is this when the deaths started? Was it your new fish dying or the others?

Any time new fish are added it can cause stress to the fish (new and old) which can trigger illness or death. Your pond may also have been stocked at full capacity and by adding several fish it pushed it over the limit. The more fish in the pond, the larger the fish are (including the ones still growing), the warmer the temperature of the water will all deplete oxygen levels. When your deaths started do you remember if it was warmer? I know we have had an unusually warm summer here but thankfully my pond is shaded and I also added an aerator to the bottom of the pond late last year. I think that helps a lot with oxygenation and keeping things from settling to the bottom of the pond.
Excellent point(s) regarding stress [stressors] to a pond environment! That's one thing that we do come across a few times a year on GPF, and it's not isolated to newbies -- someone has a pond that's been stable for years. No problems. But suddenly, fish are getting sick; dying. And it usually turns out to be that something has changed in THAT environment -- something that upset the "balance." Causes have been: current fish have grown larger over the years; fish load has gradually increased [spawning -- not due to addition of new fish]; hotter than usual weather; addition of new fish; addition of new fish without quarantine.....and I'm sure there are more factors. And it's going to happen more to the pond that is already at its limits [IOW, almost over-stocked].

I think people sometimes forget things like this, or never considered it -- and it can sneak up on you. Not to mention that changes need to be made gradually -- rapid changes of any kind are going to cause stress.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States

No death when added.. the deaths started later. No more deaths at this point. All the fish look healthy. It started specifically the day post rain and post adding pea gravel.

I switched the bog pump to a semi-solid one instead of a standard one. Hopefully more debris will be circulated to the bog.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Glad to hear no more fish are dying.

Last summer I lost all my fish and it all started after a rain storm. I honestly never really figured out what happened. We *think* it's a good possibility that the neighbors ( their yard is right next to my pond) sprayed for bugs and a toxin was washed into the pond but that is only a guess (after ruling out many other things) I hope your pond is back on track now. Would love to see some of the fish you bought from Ken (Dandy Orandas) I check out his auctions every weekend but I don't have room for more fish....

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Excellent point(s) regarding stress [stressors] to a pond environment! That's one thing that we do come across a few times a year on GPF, and it's not isolated to newbies -- someone has a pond that's been stable for years. No problems. But suddenly, fish are getting sick; dying. And it usually turns out to be that something has changed in THAT environment -- something that upset the "balance." Causes have been: current fish have grown larger over the years; fish load has gradually increased [spawning -- not due to addition of new fish]; hotter than usual weather; addition of new fish; addition of new fish without quarantine.....and I'm sure there are more factors. And it's going to happen more to the pond that is already at its limits [IOW, almost over-stocked].

I think people sometimes forget things like this, or never considered it -- and it can sneak up on you. Not to mention that changes need to be made gradually -- rapid changes of any kind are going to cause stress.

This is an extremely important factor in providing a relatively stress-free (healthy) environment for your pond creatures. All animals are acutely aware of their immediate environment and are quick to recognize and react to any changes - physical, biological or chemical. The magnitude and/or abruptness of these changes determines the level of stress experienced.
Just the simple act of unplugging the pond's pump will elicit a reaction from the fish, albeit subtle.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Glad to hear no more fish are dying.

Last summer I lost all my fish and it all started after a rain storm. I honestly never really figured out what happened. We *think* it's a good possibility that the neighbors ( their yard is right next to my pond) sprayed for bugs and a toxin was washed into the pond but that is only a guess (after ruling out many other things) I hope your pond is back on track now. Would love to see some of the fish you bought from Ken (Dandy Orandas) I check out his auctions every weekend but I don't have room for more fish....

I'll post pictures of the fish individually sooner or later. Half of my fish are from his auctions

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Here are some pictures. These water pigs hate photos.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 211
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 207
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 197
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 194
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 221
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 234

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
WOW they are so cute .I love butt wigglers and tell every one to get them .I wish that is all I had

Ask a Question