DIY bio filter question

IRL

Reaction score
Hi
I was wondering what the difference would be to have the water inlet on the top and have it go down to the swirler on the bottom, or to to have the inlet on the bottom and have it enter a PVC elbow on the inside of the barrel to create the swirling motion.
I'm just learning about the doc and skippy style filters, so sorry if this is an obvious question.
Thanks!

Reaction score
If it is going to be an upflow filter, aka skippy, then it doesn't matter. As long as the water comes in at the bottom. Coming threw the top and down threw the center with a pipe just simplifies the plumbing. Also less holes in the container, so less chance of leaks. Just make sure it kind of "T's" with elbows so it produces a swirling motion.

And I highly recommend a bottom drain in the filter to back flush. You'll be amazed at the gunk that piles up from the settling effect.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
How it gets to the bottom does matter with the Doc Bio Filter. For the best results, the geometry of the input must not interfere with the vortex created by the swirler.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
KennethO said:
If it is going to be an upflow filter, aka skippy, then it doesn't matter. As long as the water comes in at the bottom. Coming threw the top and down threw the center with a pipe just simplifies the plumbing. Also less holes in the container, so less chance of leaks. Just make sure it kind of "T's" with elbows so it produces a swirling motion.

And I highly recommend a bottom drain in the filter to back flush. You'll be amazed at the gunk that piles up from the settling effect.

That last part is why you want the swirler bar, If you put then inlet for the side at the bottom there isn't enough area for the water to settle out. You want the water to start swirling about 4-8" above the bottom, if possible the bottom drain should then be on the direct bottom.

Ask a Question