DIY redneck Koi sphere

Reaction score
I am going to look for a clear plastic salad bowl or cover that does not have a whole in the top.

Then attach it to thick foam, like those used in floating planters.

Reaction score
Nova said:
I am going to look for a clear plastic salad bowl or cover that does not have a whole in the top.

Then attach it to thick foam, like those used in floating planters.

I dont thick foam is going to offer enough floatation, unless you use so much it will not be pretty. Those bowls are filled with water, makes them pretty damn heavy. the vacuum suction might mean you need even more floatation than just the weight of water, but Im not entirely sure about that.

Reaction score
That's very cool!!!! I might have to give that a try.... I've got extra fish tanks... :bowdown: How did you get it to stay 'up'...? I've actually got a 20-gallon aquarium IN the pond for some tadpoles (to keep them safe from the fish - I need some more tree frogs.... lol), but it's in the normal upright position and the water doesn't mix; they can climb out onto the side of the pond when they grow legs. Fun idea!

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
vertigo72 said:
I dont thick foam is going to offer enough floatation, unless you use so much it will not be pretty. Those bowls are filled with water, makes them pretty damn heavy. the vacuum suction might mean you need even more floatation than just the weight of water, but Im not entirely sure about that.

The weight will be that of the water above the pond water level plus that of the container/tank/bowl. I guess you could say that the suction is what keeps the water in the container as you lift it, but the weigh gain is due to the water you are lifting.

The foam weighs nothing compared to water. To float a gallon of water you need to displace a gallon of water in the pond with a gallon of foam.

Ask a Question