diy simmer

Reaction score
I made a simple skimmer out of the spare liner I had in a corner of the pond. I fold my liner, not cut it. ;)

Build a "small mini pond" about 1'x1'x2' that connects to your pond. Build up dirt around all the edges including the one between the pond. Go to Homedepot and get a plastic gutter drain spout to 4" connector. It has a 4" rectangle on one side and a 4" circle on the other, cost about 3$, this will be the water entry hole. Get a mesh laundry bag from The Dollar Store for 1$ to catch your leaves. Tie the bag to the round part of the entry piece. Now place it between the pond and the skimmer so that the water level is in the center of the rectangle portion. Try get get a tight seal between the liner and the piece. Place your pump or hose in the pit and let it run.

The pump is forced to empty the pit. Gravity pulls water and leaves in thew the gutter adapter. Leaves get caught in the bag etc. This works well for me. Since I use a bag and not a basket, every time that portion of the net is full, water forces the leaves to a new area of the bag. I can go a few weeks-month before I have to change if I need to. Works great for fall since it doesn't clog up fast.

Edit: Also made a great place for me to grow my duckweed and smaller lettuce/hyacinth since it gets good sun/nutrients and the fish can't get to them.

Reaction score
Some pics. Long sorry.

The pond. Skimmer pool in the top right corner behind the Pickerel.
IMG_1874.jpg

Far corner of the pond. Skimmer in the top right again.
IMG_1841.jpg

Over the waterfall. Skimmer in the top left.
IMG_1839.jpg

Skimmer front rocked in and covered.
IMG_1861.jpg

Reaction score
Bag on the end. Can get any color. Green, black, white, etc. This blue one has a nice size mesh to let my Rosy Reds in and out to eat misquitos.
IMG_1899-1.jpg

And the entry hole.
IMG_1897.jpg

Reaction score
Fish saying Hi.
IMG_1848.jpg

Wall between pond and skimmer with the gutter entry. Wolf spider. :cool:
IMG_1894.jpg

Naturally when the skimmer is running the water level will be about 1/4-1/2 an inch below the water level of the pond. So you will see a little liner unless you rock it in with overhanging rocks. Make sure you still make the walls the same height as the pond tho. Or if your pump turns off, the pond will drain till its the level of the skimmer wall.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
nice job kennetho like your set up. Your pond looks nice and clear.

Ask a Question