DIY Vortex/ Skippy/BIO filter

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
oh i knew it, that was really more of a rhetorical question....but nothing ventured nothing gained. keep us posted on its performance.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
oh i knew it, that was really more of a rhetorical question....but nothing ventured nothing gained. keep us posted on its performance.

Reaction score
Will do on the performance

Any Thoughts......
So I am after some comments it is currently running after the Bioforce only been going a few days and it needs more mechanical filtration, while I fiddle and tweak things, could have made the water flow better through the bio media as at the moment it enters the top of the inner pot and straight through the outlet. Is it enough that the media is just in the water or do I need a proper flow through the media? if I change the outlet elbow so it draws water from the bottom of the inner pot would this help.
Am thinking of a homemade venturi to help the bio media along but am not sure i get the flow rate required. May try a cheapie air pump and stone.

Possible Future improvements? some form of fine sieve on the outlet, but it must be easy to clean.

Reaction score
Will do on the performance

Any Thoughts......
So I am after some comments it is currently running after the Bioforce only been going a few days and it needs more mechanical filtration, while I fiddle and tweak things, could have made the water flow better through the bio media as at the moment it enters the top of the inner pot and straight through the outlet. Is it enough that the media is just in the water or do I need a proper flow through the media? if I change the outlet elbow so it draws water from the bottom of the inner pot would this help.
Am thinking of a homemade venturi to help the bio media along but am not sure i get the flow rate required. May try a cheapie air pump and stone.

Possible Future improvements? some form of fine sieve on the outlet, but it must be easy to clean.

Reaction score
Re: performance update

Thought I would update on the performance,
generally a great success:cool:
I have added a small inner plant pot with holes in the bottom of it, filled with the homemade media, water is nice and clear but I do need to clean the filter about once every 2 months (this may improve no that most of the sludge has been pulled out of the pond)
Improvements I may or may not do..
Also added a Tee fitting on the inlet with an open end to prevent siphoning and changed some of the flexible from the pump to larger solid pipe to reduce the head.
Wish I could of used a shower drain as originally intended (it didnt fit well in the pot) the bath drain blocks easily.
the gap between the two largest pots is rather tight so it makes it awkward to remove the scrubbies to clean them.
All in all a success water is vastly improved, cleaner and fish seem very happy. Its a pain to clean but at least I dont have to d it every couple of days like the crappy thing I used to have.
Have also added a small bog garden but that doesnt seem to be doing too well:rolleyes: maybe the wrong time of year.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great, glad to hear the news that things are going well for you.

Ask a Question