do water marigolds bloom again?

Reaction score
I bought it from a store just as it was done blooming it was also inside. well after two months I have had one bloom. at first I thought it was just because it was in the plant pond and not doing great. put it in my mini bog and it is growing but thats it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never heard of a water marigold .I have tons of marigolds on my property and have taken seeds from them to get more .What does the plant look like ,can you get a pic and post it .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Information on the Water Marigold

By John Lindell, eHow Contributor
updated May 26, 2011

The water marigold (Bidens beckii) is an aquatic plant of the United States and southern Canada. It grows in the shallows of sluggish streams, ponds and lakes. This interesting species features two distinctly different sorts of foliage. Water marigold's flowers are unique compared to other aquatic species; they resemble the blooms of a daisy, rather than a marigold.

1. Geography

• The native range of the water marigold includes Nova Scotia and New Brunswick in Canada. In the U.S., water marigolds grow throughout New England southward to Maryland. The perennial plant grows in New York and Pennsylvania into the Midwest, but the Dakotas interrupt the range before it picks up again in the Northwest, including Montana, Idaho, Washington and Oregon.
Identification

• The rootstalks and rhizomes of the water marigold, buried in the mud of an aquatic environment, produce stems that grow upward to the surface. The leaves underwater grow opposite each other on the stem and are very fine. These divided leaves appear to form a whorl-like pattern on the stem. The leaves on the stalk that are above the surface have serrated edges and a lance shape. The flowers are attractive, bright and yellow, blooming during July though September, according to the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.

New Growth

• The flowers of water marigold produce small fruits containing the seeds, usually by late summer and into the fall. The seeds, as well as the stem fragments and the rhizomous root system, have the ability to generate new growth. In winter cold, the water marigold dies back, and only the rootstalk and buried rhizomes survive. Warm temperatures in the spring promote new growth and the cycle of this perennial begins anew.

Importance to Wildlife

• The water marigold is a valuable plant to wildlife within its growing range. Fish use the water marigold as a source of shade in hot weather. Fish also forage around the submerged leaves and hide from potential danger in and around the plant. Shorebird and waterfowl, including ducks and geese, eat the fruit and seeds of water marigold. More info: http://www.uwgb.edu/...ts/megbec01.htm

Attachments

• Water Marigold.jpg
    Water Marigold.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 414

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I bought it from a store just as it was done blooming it was also inside. well after two months I have had one bloom. at first I thought it was just because it was in the plant pond and not doing great. put it in my mini bog and it is growing but thats it.

Mine is the first to bloom in the spring, then it slows down during the hot summer, then starts back up as it cools off. Last year it was the last to quit blooming.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that is a pretty flower but wonder how it would do here .May have to try and find it .I like yellow my fav. color

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The native range of the water marigold includes Nova Scotia and New Brunswick in Canada. In the U.S., water marigolds grow throughout New England southward to Maryland. The perennial plant grows in New York and Pennsylvania into the Midwest, but the Dakotas interrupt the range before it picks up again in the Northwest, including Montana, Idaho, Washington and Oregon.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice Steve, good bio filter and darn healthy plants.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So that big long massive plant hanging over the rail is the Water Marigold? Wow that is a wonderfully lush plant! I'm gonna have to start checking our water ways around here to see if any exists in them. We can drag the rubber boat out and head to the lakes around here............never know what we may find :lamp5:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I like the looks of that plant and the way it spreads down and across the water. I'll keep my eyes open for some of that out in the wild. Thanks Steve.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If I find some you know you will get some and anything else I come across. I'll bug my hubby to go plant hunting in the boat and see how he takes it, lol
I'm looking for Water Hawthorne that doesn't cost too horribly much w/ decent shipping. What I'm wondering tho is what is the best time to plant the stuff? Like if I get it now can I put it in the pond through winter? Not sure on that one. Would hate to kill it!

Ask a Question