Overwintering hardy water lily out of pot

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm on the north shore of Lake Ontario. I used to have three ponds deep enough to overwinter everything in situ, but I have moved and have only a tub at this time. I lifted the Nymphaea candida today, took it out of the pot, washed all the soil off the roots, and placed it in a 'right size' Chinese pot filled with water. I have no minimally-heated area for cold storage of a potted lily. Should the pot with water be kept in the dark, changing water once a week, say, or have full light like a tropical water lily would?
Is this a fatal error?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmm.... first of all WELCOME! I'm guessing you have plans for a future pond, so we will look forward to that!

We have successfully overwintered lily tubers by wrapping them in damp newspaper and then plastic and keeping them in a cool, dark spot. But I don't see why you couldn't keep it in a pot full of water in the house. Do they need a dormancy period is the question and I'm afraid I don't know the answer! Let's hope someone with more experience will pop in here!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hmmm.... first of all WELCOME! I'm guessing you have plans for a future pond, so we will look forward to that!

We have successfully overwintered lily tubers by wrapping them in damp newspaper and then plastic and keeping them in a cool, dark spot. But I don't see why you couldn't keep it in a pot full of water in the house. Do they need a dormancy period is the question and I'm afraid I don't know the answer! Let's hope someone with more experience will pop in here!
Thanks for responding. Time will tell if a winter in water will work. I just don't have a cool, dark spot. In my former pre-downsizing home that wouldn't have been a problem, but in any case the lilies stayed in the deep ponds all winter. Inasmuch as the only possible site for a real pond in this small property is the septic bed because it is the flat part of a saucer with sloping sides, I doubt I can go bigger than the tub. However, this last spring I acquired a fine stream that tumbles downhill over many levels to a pondless finish. The burning question is how large is the working part of the tile bed..... :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Sounds lovely!

I guess as far as the lily goes, all you can do is try. Much of gardening is just experimentation anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have successfully wintered a lily in my heated garage. I left it in its pot, trimmed everything off and put pot and all into a large garbage bag. I opened the bag occasionally to make sure the lily did not totally dry out. I do not recall ever having to add any water. I got that idea somewhere, someone elses advise. That was before I had my bigger pond. I now leave them in the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Never heard of doing that, but it worked! All mine stay in my pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-A
Never heard of doing that, but it worked! All mine stay in my pond.
I have had tropical lilies for numerous years in zone 7a . At the end of the season I remove them from the root bound pot and completely wash all dirt off of the plant . I then trim all roots back to 2-3 " and then divide the tuber into sections with roots attached. I then let them dry in a warm area for a day and then place them in a 1 gal freezer bag covered with peat moss and store in my garage in a dark closet. In spring I start them in small pots and you will soon see small leaves starting. When water temp.is 70 degrees I place them in "Safe Haven " containers sit back and enjoy their beauty.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks, Ron. This encourages me. My hardy lily tuber is still living in water in its Chinese pot on the floor in as cool a place as I can find. I keep it covered, but change the water every week or so, removing any old hair roots, etc. It is clearly alive and has small, though pale, leaves in various places. I live in hope of its survival since it is now about half way through its ordeal . Perhaps next winter I'll try your tropical lily treatment.

Ask a Question