Does this sound right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I think I have kind of figured out the plumbing to my fish pond upgrade, I haven't learned all the fish pond terminology, so please excuse the kindergarden wording.

I put a submersible pump in the pond (size to be determined) and use pvc pipe to connect it to the skippy filter. This will cause the bottom drain(s) to be gravity fed into the skippy filter.

I put a submersible pump into the skimmer and use separate pvc pipe to connect to the skippy filter.

Should each pump be large enough to circulate the enitre pond or should each be strong enough to circulate half? Or would one pump work for both skimmer and bottom drain.

Does this make sense? Am I over analyzing? So confused!!!! Help me please!! LOL.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
if you have a bottom drain most have an external pump with some kind of leaf basket before the pump then its plumbed into your filter ...sorry thats not much help but im sure someone with a bottom drain will be able to help you more :0)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you have a bottom drain, you do need a external pump. If you have an external pump you could have one line pull water from the bottom drain, one from the skimmer combining before they go into the pump. You should have leaf basket before the pump. Then plumbed into the filter.

Have a ball valve to regulate the flow between the bottom drain and the skimmer.

Or if you have a submersible pump, to have a skimmer and to drain the bottom. I THINK lol you would need two, one in the skimmer one on the bottom of the pond. both feeding into a filter. I use external pumps.

The more questions you ask the better your outcome will be so ask away. And read the construction / diy thread, there is a lot of information there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thanks for the answers, I hadn't even thought about using an external pump. I've been reading the DIY threads like a mad woman!! I've also been driving the hubby nuts asking questions about plumbing!! The last pond we built was ok, but I want a bigger one and this time, I want to do it right!!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Right helps a lot lol, called the learning curve! and reading sure helps. Ask away we will do our best to help you :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've been outside measuring, I am thinking about 8x12x4. Again, I am in the very initial planning stages.

I plan on using the following:

Savio Compact Skimmer
3" bottom drain (2)
100 Gallon skippy filter

Will the Sequence 750 work with this? I've been reading previos posts about external pumps, does DoDad still sell these pumps?

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
riparks said:
I've been outside measuring, I am thinking about 8x12x4. Again, I am in the very initial planning stages.

I plan on using the following:

Savio Compact Skimmer
3" bottom drain (2)
100 Gallon skippy filter

Will the Sequence 750 work with this? I've been reading previos posts about external pumps, does DoDad still sell these pumps?

yes i think he does ...send him a pm

lee

Reaction score
hi all i am looking on doing the same size pond but my darling gf wont let me have a bigger 1 riparks hope all goes well with your new pond i hope a will get my way and get mine lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Lee, you just have to stand your ground, lol. We were supposed to do this last fall, but hubby kept putting it off. He is a contractor with a back hoe and plumbing/electrical skills. I have been asking him so many questions about plumbing, digging, and everything else that I think he is ready to start just to shut me up. I am obsessed with this pond right now.

lee

Reaction score
lol i wiell do 1 day when she wakes up and all the stuff as been drop off on the front she says the my smaller pond that i have now ant sortid out but i dont see the point in makeing it all pritty when it will be gone for when my new 1 is reddy for the go lol are u doing yours in the ground or above ?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
riparks said:
Lee, you just have to stand your ground, lol. We were supposed to do this last fall, but hubby kept putting it off. He is a contractor with a back hoe and plumbing/electrical skills. I have been asking him so many questions about plumbing, digging, and everything else that I think he is ready to start just to shut me up. I am obsessed with this pond right now.

Just grab his back hoe and start digging......................they are not hard to learn lol

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
riparks, I can't speak to that exact sequence pump but I have had one for 6 years now run it 24/7 9 months a year with no problems. MIne is the sequence primer 7200prm23 http://www.mdminc.com/PowerPrimer.aspx this is what it looks like. I have it housed in what I call the pump house which is a small structure about 2'x3.5', it's pretty quiet as well can hear a very slight humm if you stand by the pump house with the roof open.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL addy, I would love to try that, however, it's the hubby's little toy and he won't let me use it.

Tahermann, how big is your pond? I'm convinced that the Sequence is the brand to buy, I haven't read any negative comments about it.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My pond is 12 x15 and holds about 3000 gallons. There are pictures of it in my thread titled my pond photos.

Ask a Question