What does your landscaping around your pond look like?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
I’m almost done building my pond. (What a fun new hobby/obsession!) We got rid of the kids swing set now that my oldest is driving and my youngest is not far behind. We had a large rectangle of mulch which we recently pulled up with the intention of turning back into grass (how boring). Then I decided hey, this would make a great home for a fish pond! Always been a dream but honestly didn’t think it was doable until I found this site. Surrounding my pond is a circle of dirt. I hoped to find some inspiration out there. Please share pictures of how you landscaped around your pond.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I spread natural mulch around my pond, they are from my own downed tree branches. The first year I bought mulch but never really like the look that much. I prefer the natural look. I did place some rock here and there in the mulch too. I planted a variety of species, this year I added native species for the area. I like the look to be more natural and filled in look not perfectly planted. Last year I thinned out some things as it was a little to grown in. I extended the size around the pond this year for planting room with native species.
I have cardinal plants, different grasses, cone flowers, bleeding hearts, dogwood, blueberry bushes, mint, different ground cover, forget me knots, many pond plants (some are growing around the pond now too), swamp milkweed in the yard, beebalm, new england aster, different hostas, and turtle head to name a few. I removed the broom bush in the photos.

Here is the extension size before the growing season.
IMG_3352.JPG

IMG_3354.JPG

here are few I just took
IMG_3580.JPG

IMG_3581.JPG

IMG_3582.JPG

IMG_3585.JPG

IMG_3587.JPG

I built a Stone fire pit this year

IMG_3567.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I’ve got about 4’ of buffer space between the pond and the grass. It’s filled with native plants and mulch (hopefully less mulch and more plants as time goes by). I’ve also put some sizeable rocks like I used in the pond build out in the landscaping. That makes the transition softer and avoids the “string of pearls” look to the pond.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
When it was built 9 years ago it was mulched. However, it has since gone au naturel. Partially because it is fenced in and the land area is home to box turtles and mostly because I am lazy, when it comes to maintaining landscaping.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I’m almost done building my pond. (What a fun new hobby/obsession!) We got rid of the kids swing set now that my oldest is driving and my youngest is not far behind. We had a large rectangle of mulch which we recently pulled up with the intention of turning back into grass (how boring). Then I decided hey, this would make a great home for a fish pond! Always been a dream but honestly didn’t think it was doable until I found this site. Surrounding my pond is a circle of dirt. I hoped to find some inspiration out there. Please share pictures of how you landscaped around your pond.
I used to have mulch but it was an issue always ending up in the pond and clogging the pump, so I replaced it with lava rocks. I can still plant and they stay put, I love it!
pond2.jpg

Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nothing too fancy around my pond. Most of the land surrounding my pond is pathway, since it's in such a small space. I had a plan to make a 1.5 foot wide path all the way around, with plant life everywhere else. Everything is mulched, and weed fabric is under the pathways. As far as plants go, almost everything is native and beneficial to local wildlife, which helps to attract butterflies, hummingbirds, and bees. The insect life means there is good hunting for my frogs, and the plant life gives them cover. There's plant life on nearly every edge of my pond. I used a mix of short and medium-height plants around the edge, and taller plants along my fence. I tried to use a variety of color, while sticking to native species.

IMG_4337 copy.jpg

This year, along my fence, I expanded a slightly raised area that's mainly bare soil for ground-nesting bees. The area stays drier for some of the plant species that like drier conditions.
IMG_7776 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
looks like crap. i need more rocks to cover liner.. but i rather the function and keeps fish good then looks right now. $$ tighter than an 8 year olds braids.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@sissy are those real banana plants that make eatable fruits?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'd really like to extend my planting area out more around my pond like some of these beauties that have been posted but what a job that would be and I am getting lazier as I get older. Thinking oh it's just fine the way it is lol!

IMG_6838.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the jungle! haha!

This is my pond last August with everything going crazy. About 3/4 of the perimeter of the pond is mulched path. We put the stone walk in the previous summer. The rest is just plants gone wild. Amazing how much growth you can get in a few months time!

August 1 2017.JPG

Ask a Question