Doitsu and Kohaku - what do you guys think?

Reaction score
Thanks all!

I did everything i could do. I sure wish I have access to something like Baytril to end most doubts.

First, i used Tricide-Neo... looked like it halted and cured infection for some areas but didn't for others... Proform-C and prazi later in fear of flukes... then I had some Debride ointment and dental powder to seal it. I bought debride for a Kohaku (great patient) in main pond (so far so good for that one) and decided to try on orange doitsu. I stopped after 2 days. I was doing more harm than good since guy was struggling way too much, even when I didn't even 'net' the guy out of the water.

Oh and 2 of the 3 little kohakus that developed bacterial infection due to getting nipped by another koi are gone too. LOL!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
So how many are left out of the 6 you just got? Was it the breeder/supplier that shipped you sick fish? If so have you contacted them?

Reaction score
Two Doitsu and 1 little Kohaku left out of the 6 from first message.

I didn't contact him. I bought the orange guy knowing full well it was developing something. Thought it would heal with a little care but that was an epic fail. LOL! I gotta say, I never kept imported koi before. It's harder than caring for my reef tank. Or maybe I'm just having the case of bad luck.

Supplier was going to put it back into water but I said I'll take it anyway. My fault. As for the two little Kohakus, only the one with the white head is left. And those other guys, I liked more. They were in perfect health until someone decide to constantly nip at their fins for 2 days. I only noticed when their scales started to lift. :-(

The offender(s) are now in the 130G. They started to nip at the black domestic koi I keep in there. That I'm not worried. Nothing ever happens to my domestics, except for carpet surfing.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
That's odd, usually they won't do that except to eat fry or possibly to remove a sick koi from the picture. Maybe they knew something.

Reaction score
Yeah... What would make it even more odd is when I tell you this...

I witnessed a small koi sucking body and nipping on the new comers and anyone else within sucking distance. I thought that was odd but I didn't think much of it. Thought it was just hungry or having a weird day. Sadly, I forgot who they were.

The offender(s) were nipping at everyone. Majority of my koi in my main pond have some sort of fin damage (nothing too severe so I didn't bother mentioning before - but could become a disaster - LOL!), especially the smaller ones. I couldn't figure out why. I mean... Fin grew back and next thing I know, it's damaged again. Split ends and missing small chunks. Pretty much no small ones were immune except for 3 of them. I finally had it when I saw my biggest Sanke (the one on the far right in my sig) was missing a small chunk in the tail section. The guy (maybe I should call it piggy) had perfect fins. So I plucked out the possible offenders.

So now, the offenders are in the 130G with my 6" black koi and was perfect. Now it's messed up. LOL!

Reaction score
Oh yeah.. I was relaxed and enjoying my new koi for the first few weeks, then all hell broke loose. Losses are minimal. As long as you don't see anymore red X's in my signature pic, I'll be happy. :)

I think the end of the storm is very near.

I have 8 new imports coming in soon. Still held at pond store QT (3 weeks already). I saw them last week... They're looking good so far. My main pond should be ok (but won't be fluke free) by the time I drop them in. If new herd is fluke free, they'll get infected. I have 3 packets of prazi ready for a chance of eradication.

Reaction score
Nuts! I thought my prized kohaku (2nd pic from the left in signature) was healing well. It developed early stages of ulcer. Scales lifting and redness. Treated it with debride ointment. Was working great two weeks in until yesterday. After treatment, infected area stayed white with hint of red in certain areas. Yesterday, saw some redness and now it's redder. Treated it again. I'm putting it in the 130G QT in the next hour or so. :-(

Here's pic of first day I brought the guy back home... Spotted infection 3 weeks later I think. It developed FAST! I did a bowl inspection on the guy a week before... NOTHING! This pic was taken on day of discovery. I don't have current pics. It looks worse. I removed some lifted scales, treated with iodine and debride ointment for 4 days. Fed my entire pond with debride medicated food. Looked promising. Infected area stayed white with a little bit of red until yesterday (2 weeks after discovery). Started up debride ointment again. I'm running really low on it but i should have enough for 3 more treatments.

All the stuff I've done with ulcers so far is useless. I hope moving to my 130G QT will work. The filter is matured and water parameters perfect, but orange doitsu died in there. But that water is 100% gone. Moving my domestic koi out of 130G again and into garbage bins. Sorry guys. But they're tough, and I couldn't even find a single fluke on them.

I'm going bonkers treating koi. Looks like the rest of my herd is fine, but if they develop something... god forbid! They and I suffered enough. I don't want to add another red X to my sig line. Only green, meaning it got traded. LOL!

Attachments

• bac3.jpg
    bac3.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 207
  • kohaku1.jpg
    kohaku1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 223

Ask a Question