Doitsu and Kohaku - what do you guys think?

Reaction score
I just posted on another thread about Koizyme and how it eliminates the bad bacteria. It may help now or if you encounter another infestation in the future. Obviously the infections you are experiencing are secondary to the Fluke infestation.

Reaction score
MassKoi said:
I just posted on another thread about Koizyme and how it eliminates the bad bacteria. It may help now or if you encounter another infestation in the future. Obviously the infections you are experiencing are secondary to the Fluke infestation.

I think I'll stick to potassium permanganate. PP is serious stuff. I ordered a gram scale accurate to 0.01g for this purpose. I need to measure .18G at a time. My analog swing type swiss made scale is not good enough for this purpose.

I can't say for sure it's due to fluke infestation. My 70G was infested (probably hundreds per a scrape). I PP'd about 7 little koi. Weak one died but after one hour in the dip in PP(supposedly 10ppm) killed/removed 99% of the flukes. I'm using prazi now. 2nd week in. Planning to do one more week. Main pond under the scope revealed 2-3 flukes at most on 4 scrapes per koi. I did scrape two weeks apart. #'s still the same. Once filter matures, I'm going to do a 3 week prazi treatment on them. Maybe PP first (with filters shut off). I'll decide later.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I hope they gets better...I never went thru i bad infection....so no hands on answers

Reaction score
Me too. Flukes infestation appears to be somewhat easy to solve (at least bring down to controllable levels). Bacteria infection. I don't know... I've never needed to treat my fish like this before. Taken care of everything from Goldies, discus to reef tank for decades... nothing is as difficult as imported japanese koi. LOL! Maybe just a bad start for me.

Let me add another story. I left my net pond net (22" - no handle on it) on ledge of the pond. I moved it to another spot on the pond and walked away for 1 minute. It fell into the pond and I heard a big splash (not the net but from a fish). Next thing I knew, scales floating around in water (probably lost 4-5). 2nd Kohaku got nice dent on back of head just behind gill plate (4th pic from left of signature pic). Doh! That was 3 days ago. No infection yet. Crossing my fingers. That guy appears to be in perfect health, besides missing scales and dent. Bowled it for inspection and mine as well rub it down with some debride ointment. I was so angry at myself but I cooled off.

Ask a Question